This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] No Sound

nerofromde

Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:20:34 am

Hi, I got a problem with my sound... When I start my computer I have to look always in alsamixer to see if it recognizes my soundcard, sometimes I dont have some important options in alsamixer like "Master" so the sound is mute and I cant change anything, I have to reboot my computer (sometimes multiple times, which makes me crazy) to see "Master" again to increase the soundlevel.

What can I do to fix this bug?

nerofromde

Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:38:25 am

here some commands in terminal from http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Sound_Proble ... schreibung

lsb_release -d
Description: Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS

uname -r
3.2.0-32-generic

cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [VT82xx ]: HDA-Intel - HDA VIA VT82xx
HDA VIA VT82xx at 0xfebfc000 irq 17
1 [VX800 ]: USB-Audio - Microsoft LifeCam VX-800
Microsoft Microsoft LifeCam VX-800 at usb-0000:00:10.4-4, high speed

aplay -l
**** Liste der Hardware-Geräte (PLAYBACK) ****

aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav
Wiedergabe: WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate: 48000 Hz, mono

lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 audio
80:01.0 Audio device [0403]: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237A/VT8251 HDA Controller [1106:3288] (rev 10)
Subsystem: Elitegroup Computer Systems Device [1019:1b47]
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel

ps -C esd
PID TTY TIME CMD

ps -C arts
PID TTY TIME CMD

ps -C pulseaudio
PID TTY TIME CMD
1943 ? 00:00:00 pulseaudio

grep "^audio" /etc/group | grep "$USER" | wc -l

lsmod | grep "snd"
snd_hda_codec_via 51398 1
snd_usb_audio 122982 1
snd_hda_intel 33773 0
snd_hda_codec 127706 2 snd_hda_codec_via,snd_hda_intel
snd_pcm 97188 3 snd_usb_audio,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_hwdep 13668 2 snd_usb_audio,snd_hda_codec
snd_usbmidi_lib 25395 1 snd_usb_audio
snd_seq_midi 13324 0
snd_rawmidi 30748 2 snd_usbmidi_lib,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event 14899 1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq 61896 2 snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_timer 29990 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device 14540 3 snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
snd 78855 13 snd_hda_codec_via,snd_usb_audio,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm,snd_hwdep,snd_usbmidi_lib,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
snd_page_alloc 18529 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
soundcore 15091 1 snd

head -n 3 /proc/asound/card0/codec#0
Codec: VIA VT1708
Address: 0
AFG Function Id: 0x1 (unsol 0)

head -n 3 /proc/asound/card0/codec97#0/ac97#0-0
head: »/proc/asound/card0/codec97#0/ac97#0-0“ kann nicht zum Lesen geöffnet werden: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

head -n 3 /proc/asound/card0/codec97#0/ac97#0-0+regs
head: »/proc/asound/card0/codec97#0/ac97#0-0+regs“ kann nicht zum Lesen geöffnet werden: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

asoundconf list
asoundconf: Befehl nicht gefunden.

cat ~/.asoundrc
cat: /home/me/.asoundrc: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

cat ~/.asoundrc.asoundconf
cat: /home/me/.asoundrc.asoundconf: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

Wolfman

Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:38:23 am

Hi,

try this:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2023

Regards Wolfman :D

Viking

Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:15:12 pm

I'm having similar issue as nero. I put OS6 on my HP pavillion when XP finally crashed. Zorin is the only OS on the box. My cousin is quite tech saavy and been tryin' to get me into Linux for awhile. I ignored his advice on installing a different distro, however. Zorin looked to be the most attractive option to me. I got it up and screaming. I was quite impressed albeit it had some obvious bugs, just gettin' warmed up to Linux, right? I got a couple of programs out the ubuntu center, "Hydrogen" "Stellarium" and "guitarex". Cool stuff, guys. Trying to piece it all together. Well, hydrogen was blowing me away for about a day. Then after listening to some guitar demo on youtube, I opened up hydrogen and the sound was baked. I tested the speakers and got a tone. Came here and followed the links and got sox, etc. Checked the startup options, disabled zeitgeist. And now no sound. Not even the poor quaility hissing I got in hydrogen before. However, test the speakers thru the control panel, and I can hear the female test voice clearly.

Viking

Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:18:10 pm

Hey Swar, What's up? It is the 32-bit version. I saw you other post about gettin' the SI on hand before posting, I didn't make a partition here.One OS is all I plan to run. I was salvaging this box for a student compter for my 13 YO. I bought it new in '05 the XP was never good from the start. Once I saw how cool Zorin OS6 is and got that drumming software on, I want to keep it (for myself haha.) if I can get out the bugs. Working with that terminal get you interested in programming right now! LOL. I pasted that command in there like wolf said, I didn't notice it doing anything. It just asked for admin permission, i put it in, hit enter....didn't see it doing anything, though.

BTW, I was filling in a captcha and hit the audio button and it was clear as day. Just won't do audio with my new Linux programs suddenly. And It went off on youtube, came back on for one vid, then went back down. I can eliminate blown speakers and connections.

Wolfman

Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:13:45 pm

Hi,

do you have the Medibuntu repo active?:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1852

Once done, install these packages via a terminal:

sudo apt-get install non-free-codecs faac flac

Let us know if this helps.

Viking

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:50:59 pm

I went into Synaptic Package manager and brought up all the audio software. I could select the gamut, but there wasn't any command for uninstalling them wholesale so I could re install them. Many things about linux are counter intuitive. I guess that's why it is open source. Hopefully I can contribute one day when this clears up a bit. So no go there, however, I did get the Metibuntu authenticated thru the terminal. I was under the impression that I would have to go online and get Java and Adobe Flash or whatnot then,but now the audio and video is working on youtube like a champ. Clear as a bell. I'm not sure why, but I must admit, guys, I'm hooked.

Thanks a lot. We'll see if it stays put! Heh, I'll check back in soon, as this OS has got me fired up. I'm just a digital immigrant, guys. They were just getting Apple II running good when I was in high school. I sure enjoy this, though. Thanks again.

Wolfman

Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:50:50 am

Hi Viking,

glad to hear it, I will mark this as solved.

Viking

Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:45:17 am

Thanks, guys. I'm sorry I horned in on the other member's thread. I hope his panned out. I still got some issues with Guitarix, JACK and Hydrogen. I'll look into it and post another thread to get specific. I have a real good feeling about Linux.