This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Well Zorin Linux Fails Me Yet Again>>GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

shkarst

Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:12:49 pm

Wanting to make a call via Google Voice, the other end could not hear me. Was either my MIC side of the headset went bad, a dirty jack, or Linux. I switched over to Windows, and it worked!!!!!!! After I spun the mouth part around a few times cleaning the internal contact, where it enters the unit. Went back to Linux, where I am at now, and NOTHING. Glad I installed it ALONGSIDE>>LOL.

All this has put us behind on our walk by a good 40 minutes>>>>GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

I love Linux, but it surely has it weak chain/Links!!!!!!

And yes I tried both Chrome AND FF, and the Google Voice Plugin is INSTALLED, otherwise I could not even place the call.

Wolfman

Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:18:00 pm

Hi,

try Pulse Audio Manager and don't forget to check the slider in the volume settings under "Input" > "Input Volume":

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2023

Regards Wolfman :D

shkarst

Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:56:57 pm

Will do, thanks

shkarst

Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:05:09 pm

Just installed, all the way up on EVERY MIC input, and NADA, but thanks anyway.

Wolfman

Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:11:21 pm

Hi,

do you have the Medibuntu repo active?:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1852

Once done, install these packages via a terminal:

sudo apt-get install-non-free-codecs faac flac

Let us know if this helps.

Regards Wolfman

shkarst

Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:20:03 pm

Sorry, but I do not see what, "multimedia playback, " has to do with using Google talk (The Microphone jack. Sorry, guess I am just a Dummy using Linux. Time for a BREAK :-), Thanks though.

Anonymous

Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:27:20 am

shkarst wrote:Sorry, but I do not see what, "multimedia playback, " has to do with using Google talk (The Microphone jack. Sorry, guess I am just a Dummy using Linux. Time for a BREAK :-), Thanks though.

Good Ref. For anyone else having a problems:>>>http://askubuntu.com/questions/158222/google-talkplugin-not-working-in-ubuntu-12-04-64bit

shkarst

Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:52:12 am

Well it is working on my netbook using Zorin lite, not sure if before I installed PulseAudio Volume manager. But had to do it MANUALLY. So I think that I know what needs to be done on the desktop and am going out there now. Will report back if all work.

Also both Chrome AND FF needed to have the Google talk plug in installed here, and when I did, it specifically said for LINUX also. So may have to UNINSTALL those browsers out there and RE-INSTALL, may be the trick.

shkarst

Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:18:27 am

IT IS FIXED!!!!! I had to go into the, "SYNAPTIC Package Manager (A first for me never having been able to figure that out>>LOL)," and MANUALLY Install & RE-INSTALL anything that I thought was relevant to either That PulseAudio Volume Manager, AND anything I deemed related to that Line input Jack. IT WORKS NOW. Man what a pain to have to do all this to make something work, whereas in Windows, everything pretty much WORKS, just not as FAST :-). and of course, not as SECURE. And that solved it without having to UN-INSTALL and RE-INSTALL Chrome & FF, to then RE-INSTALL Google's Talk Plugin, none of that was necessary, just the SYNAPTIC stuff. Thank-you Wolfman for telling me about that PulseAudio THANG :-)

Wolfman

Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:44:50 am

shkarst wrote:Sorry, but I do not see what, "multimedia playback, " has to do with using Google talk (The Microphone jack. Sorry, guess I am just a Dummy using Linux. Time for a BREAK :-), Thanks though.

Hi,

sometimes you need to kick-start Linux with a few extra packages before things will work, some hardware requires a little more support than others and that is why I suggested the codecs packages!.

You got it working which is the main thing. :D :D :D :D :D

When you post a link, always leave a space before the link; and after it like this: http://askubuntu.com/questions/158222/g ... 2-04-64bit

It is the same link as yours, the one you posted isn't clickable!!.

shkarst

Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:31:52 pm

I didn't post any links, because I know that I'd screw it up>>LOL.

Wolfman

Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:22:57 pm

Aaaaah,

and this:

Good Ref. For anyone else having a problems:>>>http://askubuntu.com/questions/158222/google-talkplugin-not-working-in-ubuntu-12-04-64bit

?????? :D :D :D :D :D

shkarst

Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:23:37 pm

I would not be surprised if there is something in that SYNAPTIC Package Manager that would let my KB/Mouse bring the PC out of SUSPENSION. But I just do not have the PATIENCE :-)

Wolfman

Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:19:40 am

Hi,

there are still bug reports about this problem on the web and typical of Ubuntu, they push out another version rather than fix the bugs in previous ones thus creating more headaches!!.

shkarst

Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:19:21 pm

So is that new version 12.10 worth downloading/installing??? Does Zorin's download site have it yet?? I guess I could Google for the answer to that last question :-)

shkarst

Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:00:19 pm

Thanks

shkarst

Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:22:25 am

Well it was working till I went into, "Ubuntu Tweaks," and used the Janitor, thinking that I was cleaning stuff up not needed, Like in Windows using, "CCleaner." But I wiped out whatever I fixed on my LINE MIC issue. Now I am not being heard again, AND I went into the Synaptic Package Manager, trying to repair it as I did the last time, RE-INSTALLING anything to do with the PulseAudio Volume Manager, and it is still not working>>>GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. I should have left well alone!!! Sorry to be bugging y'all about this AGAIN :-)

shkarst

Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:51:40 am

False alarm, sorry. I checked every single item on that page for PulseAudio, each and every one, and still NADA. Then I thought, Maybe you ought to try a RESTART like is sometimes needed in Windows. That DID IT!!!!! Now I may have of INSTALLED some items not necessary, but I assume if they are on the list, it can't hurt>>LOL. Now going to bed about 2>>3 hrs. later than planned>>>GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Computers>>SO FREAKIN FUN :-)>>>Night all.