This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS 6 VM in Windows

jojothehobo

Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:49:15 pm

Hi All:
I am running Zorin OS 6 Ultimate for a couple months and now have it set up in a way that it is productive for me. I have installed Java, :?: Jaspersoft IReport, MySQL server and some related software. What I would like to do is create an ISO image of my Zorin OS, including the add on packages I've installed, and install that as a VM under Windows 7 using VMWare or Oracle VM Virtual Box so I can use it on Windows machines that my colleagues are using (or have them use it on their own machines).

Does anyone know how to do this? I've seen some baseline Zorin VM's, but I want an image of my machine as it is. Any help would be much appreciated.

All the best

Jojo

Wolfman

Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:55:26 am

Hi Jojo,

you would need to create your own ISO (basically a re-mix) and then you can do whatever in VM with it:

http://maketecheasier.com/6-tools-to-ea ... 2010/04/08

http://lifehacker.com/5921054/ubuntu-bu ... stribution

I don't do it myself but I hope the above gives you an idea or two.

Regards Wolfman :D

jojothehobo

Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:59:58 am

Thanks Wolfman, I'll check it out.
If this works I see it as a great alternative to full backups, since you can readily reinstall your entire setup to another hard drive or computer in the event of a disk failure etc. With Zorin you are looking at perhaps 10 or so GB while with a comparable Windows machine you would likely have an image of 100's of GB.

all the best

Jojo

jojothehobo

Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:16:34 am

Thanks Swarfendor437. I will check it out and get back to you, probably this weekend or shortly thereafter. I think my rig, which is a desktop AMD 64 quad core with 6gb ram and 250 gb hard drive, has Remastersys already installed in Zorin 6 Ultimate. I don't know why it should make my computer run hot, but I'll also look at Ubuntu Builder and Instalinux. One of Wolfman's links included Remastersys, so I'll look at the three of them. Instalinux runs online, Remastersys allows you to create an image from your running distribution and I'm not sure about whether or not Ubuntu Builder can do that. All part of the adventure. Thanks for your reply and I'll keep you and Wolfman posted.

all the best

Joel