This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

After installation Zorin Can"t loging to Windows7

vitaliy_ts

Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:45:58 am

After installation Zorin Can"t loging to Windows7
I have second operation system on my laptop Widows 7, and after installation Zorin OS a have Windows on first dialog window after BIOS, it is start loading for few second and after shutoff. I have all my data on Windows system.
Pls help me to restore my Window7 and my data!!
Thanx

gingerman431

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:08:23 am

If your Zorin installation opens up, do this;
Open the terminal and write there
sudo update-grub
give your password
and see what you get.
If you see Windows 7 in the results, you can reboot and when the grub screen opens, go down to Windows 7 line and click it open. Maybe, right now you have it, so, reboot and check the grub window. You should have that line with Windows 7 in that grub screen, as Zorin OS had installed grub in your system, while installing.

By the way, when you installed Zorin OS, did you show it a free partition to install or did that automatically?

Wolfman

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:11:20 am

Hi,

further to GM's suggestion, try "Boot Repair":

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1895

Did you partition using Gparted?:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

Regards Wolfman :D

vitaliy_ts

Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:05:02 am

I did all steps, nothing works
from terminal says
""found Windows7 (loader) on dev/sda3

is any other simple way to restor Windows 7 back
Could you please explain step by step
thanx

Wolfman

Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:36:20 am

Hi,

if you use the Boot Repair disk like I suggested, it has an option to preair the MBR, if you don't want to use BR, put in your windows disk and press any key to boot from the disk, then select repair and go to the DOS prompt and type "fixmbr" and this will repair your Windows bootloader.

Let us know if this helps.

Did you read the guides I posted earlier??.

Regards Wolfman :D

vitaliy_ts

Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:49:57 am

Thank you for answer! I will try to do one more time step by step, as you told me.
I just afraid if my personal data on Windows after booting will be save? I have only one disc window and data on one disc
Thanx

Anonymous

Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:19:10 am

vitaliy_ts wrote:Thank you for answer! I will try to do one more time step by step, as you told me.
I just afraid if my personal data on Windows after booting will be save? I have only one disc window and data on one disc
Thanx

This a safe way to recover your data from your drive that has Windows installed!!! >>> Use as a last resort<<<

If you or someone else has another computer. The harddrive can be removed from your unit and plugged into another Windows based computer and you can retrieve your personal data that way. The same principle as using an external harddrive. Just plug the drive into a spare SATA or IDE connection/port (which ever) on the a working Windows computer. And the time it takes depends on the amount of data being transfered. This can be done in a matter of minutes. This is actually the safest way when recovering personal data from a computer with Windows installed. Because you using Windows to do the actaul recover process!!!!