This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Re-install 6 or Upgrade to 6.1?

Muzzargh

Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:15:53 am

Hi Guys,

I'm still having a few issues, like random reboots and system freezes (about 50% ot the time) when I try to switch users. What happens is I select the different user, the screen goes black, the user selection bit on the left appears, the cursor sits in front of "Password" (but doesn't blink) and it stays like this until I power off and restart (I have left it overnight just to see what happened but it was still frozen). Strangely, the mouse still works (as in moves around the screen but you can click on anything)???

Anyway I see that 6.1 is out and I thought I might just do a fresh install of that. My disk has been partitioned (as per one of my previous posts) like so:
2GiB sda2 linux-swap,
40GiB sda1 ext4 / boot,
890GiB sda3 ext4 /home
and 2.5MiB unallocated (which I don't care about ;) )

Now if I re-install 6 or upgrade to 6.1 I assume I can do so without affecting all the data and settings in /home?

Is there aything special I need to do to preserve the users I have already set up or do I have to start from scratch? :mrgreen:

Appreciate your feedback :)

Wolfman

Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:21:25 am

Hi,

select "Something Else" when installing and don't mark your "/home" for formatting, that way; all your data will be saved, you will have to reset the users again afaik!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Muzzargh

Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:10:02 am

Hi Wolfman,

Cheers :)

When you say reset you mean re set them up?

Wolfman

Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:19:35 pm

Hi,

I mean that you would have to set them up again!!.

If your system is stable anyway; I wouldn't bother re-installing unless you really want to!!.

Muzzargh

Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:28:38 pm

Sweet, we are on the same page then :)

My system isn't stable so I'm re-installing... :cry:

I'll report back when I'm complete

Muzzargh

Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:15:16 am

OK, so I upgraded. The only issue I have (that is apparent at present) is the inability to set folder/file permissions recursively. I can set each folder and file manually but when I click to "Apply Permissions to Enclosed Files" I assume that this would include folders and the files inside those as well, apparently it doesn't?

Muzzargh

Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:02:05 am

I bit the bullet and tried the command line. I chown'd and chgrp'd and although it said 'permission denied' it worked??? :roll:

I don't get it, but I'm fully 6.1 now :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Wolfman

Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:38:13 pm

Hi Muz,

did you make the original changes to the folders as "root" ?.

Muzzargh

Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:25:36 pm

Probably..not? I don't know.

I used the admin user I created when I installed 6.1, is that root?

Muzzargh

Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:45:19 pm

I typed "sudo nautilus" in the terminal when logged in as the admin user, is that the same as "gksu nautilus"?

Given that everything 'seems' to be ok, is there anything I should do now?

Muzzargh

Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:28:59 pm

OK, got it :-)

Cheers.