This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[Solved] Video Effects

gzepplin

Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:56:00 pm

Dear All,
I have looked every where but I cannot find out to tune down the graphical effects. I am having real problems with the video. It is slow, tab+Alt takes seconds to appear, it only shows white "pages" when it eventually shows. It is seriously a bad.

I also have tried changing the video driver... still not satisfyed yet.

I changed the look to Gnome.

Dell Inspiron 1520
Brnad new SSD
Ram 4Gb (maximum)
New installation of Zorin 6 Business 64.

Can you help?

Wolfman

Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:24:56 pm

Hi,

do you have an Nvidia graphics card?, if so; look here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2490

Have you fully updated?:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

let us know if this helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

gzepplin

Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:51:13 pm

Dear Walfman,
I updated the driver and repository as per this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2490

I turn off quite a few of the effects (only Window Decoration and Fading Windows), however the video is still freezing on a simple Tab+Crtl.

The active video driver is the "recommended".

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Anonymous

Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:22:04 pm

These two Video links I posted are good to have when using a Solid State Drive with Linux/Ubuntu!!!!

: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXbkoFSH ... re=related

: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kl0bYLFXSg

Wolfman

Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:38:11 pm

Hi,

further to Datek1's suggestion, have you updated as I assume you only updated the drivers but not the system?, open a terminal and paste this command:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

and then restart!!.

Let us know if this helps.

gzepplin

Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:04:01 pm

Hi Wolfman,
I am not sure I need to do this. The OS was installed on a brand new SSD this past Saturday and all updates don eimmeditely.

I went through the videos. The Bios setting was changed as suggested. The FSTAB changes also made and the system isback online, so no problems. These videos however were about improving performance, rather then solving the Video Crashing problem.

The present NVIDIA driver in use is (version current) [Recommended]. However the problem persists, so I will try the next latest version (experimental 310).

Lets see what happens.

Regards,
GLM

gzepplin

Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:22:28 pm

Hi Swarfendor437,
I just tried all other drivers. The lastest two 310 and 304 it did not installed, it resulted in an error.

The third driver installed, but now it is not rebooting now. I must go to the airport and collect a family member. Will try fixing it from the terminal - if I can, probably not! - in a 2 hours time.

Let see what happens...

Anonymous

Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:48:04 pm

I went to the back in my storage room at my shop today and found your model PC on the shelf. And have a almost new SSD I placed inside. In a hour or so I'll be home, and will let the little one install Zorin Os 6 Ultimate on the unit to see what we can come up with for ya. This kind of situation has myself very curious!!! I haven't messed with Linux and SSD's very much. But I'm sure we'll find the problem. I will get to everybody as soon as I have an answer.

gzepplin

Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:25:47 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Hi gzepplin, I appreciate from what you have posted that you have purchased Ultimate Business (64-bit edition). Just curious to know if you would have any such issues with Zorin 6.1 Core version (64-bit) - you could always add the Financial stuff manually if you wanted to. Also did your version run without issue before installing it?

Hi,
I choose v6 because it is a LTS version. The Business option was to make a donation, my first ever! I also have v6 on a desktop, so I could have used that if I wanted...

This is a new isntall on a new SSD with updated Ram. So the answer is "no, it has not run properly yet, it was only installed this Saturday".

GLM

gzepplin

Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:57:35 pm

Actually, a good question. I did not, but then I used Mint 13 MATE for several months before, so it did not occur to me...

Ok, so Zorin is booting to a command line... I messed it extensively. I tried this, but it tells me that the driver is already installed:

Code: Select all
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

Would it be a good idea to uninstall all drivers? Can it be done from the command line?

Thank you.

PS: The Live System boots fine.

Anonymous

Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:45:46 am

Ok we have a working computer. Come to find out the one I pulled out was just a step up from your model which doesn't really matter!!!!

1 Use Zorin Os 6.1 Core X64 for now. Then later you can play around with the other distro and install it once you have everything in order.
2 Make sure your system bios is updated to the most recent version Dell has to offer.
3 Make sure that the firmware for the SSD in completely up to date.
4 Do a quick format on the SSD again.
5 On older Dells when using an SSD you have to physically go into bios and enable (AHCI).
6 Watch those video links again. I posted them for proper configuration purposes.
7 Use the settings from the videos in addition to enabling (AHCI) in bios setup.
8 Install Zorin 6.1 Core
9 Use Update Manager
10 Go into Compiz>>Effects>>Animation>>Focus Animation>>Dodge>>Edit>Focus Effect>>None
11 When installing Nividia Graphics: Use 304.64 first. If no luck use the old driver 295.49. Still no luck. Try 302.43 last.

>>>All of the above is a complete process of elimination nothing more<<<

>>>This works,because I'm using your computer now typing this for ya to read<<<

>>> Just because something is new doesn't mean it can't come with defects from the manufacture<<<

Wolfman

Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:31:27 am

gzepplin wrote:Hi Wolfman,
I am not sure I need to do this. The OS was installed on a brand new SSD this past Saturday and all updates don eimmeditely.

I went through the videos. The Bios setting was changed as suggested. The FSTAB changes also made and the system isback online, so no problems. These videos however were about improving performance, rather then solving the Video Crashing problem.

The present NVIDIA driver in use is (version current) [Recommended]. However the problem persists, so I will try the next latest version (experimental 310).

Lets see what happens.

Regards,
GLM

Hi,

please take time to read through the update guide, I end up always installing updates twice after a new install, you will be surprised what is missing if you don't make adjustments to the software sources list:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Let us know if this helps.

gzepplin

Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:40:00 pm

installed the OS as suggested. I have not since installed any of the Nvidia dedicated drivers; left it as it was after the installation.