This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin os 6 core usb install not booting

tintin

Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:08:19 pm

I'm trying to install/prepare a 8gb usb flash drive for an old tablet laptop i've bought. The installation medium is another usb flash drive as my cd/dvd drive is broken on my laptop.

After trying the core and lite version i end up in the busybox/initramfs shell with the message 'gave up waiting for root device blah blah blah....

What is causing this and is it possible to solve ?

Wolfman

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:57:14 am

Hi,

1: Create a bootable USB installer using Unetbootin ( http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ )

2: Don't try direct install but make sure that it boots in "Live Mode"

3: I assume you want to wipe the drive, have you tried that prior to the install?

4: Did you format the USB stick to FAT32?

Let us know what happens.

Regards Wolfman :D

tintin

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:35:08 am

Thanks Wolfman for the response.

Don't use unetbootin, to many failures. I use DD command when in linux, Lili and usbtransfer when in windows to make live usb's. The live usb runs fine, it's the fully installed usb that's giving the problems.

I completely wiped the full install candidate before installing so can't do much more in that department either.

Wolfman

Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:38:24 pm

Hi,

what specs does the "old" laptop have??.

Do you have access to an external DVD USB drive with which you can try a DVD direct install?.

Have you tried more than one USB port if there are any more available?.

tintin

Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:53:25 am

I'm trying to boot the usb on my present laptop, hp g62, old one hasn't arrived yet.

I don't have an external usb and i have tried all 3 usb ports on the g62.

I wiped the usb before installing, still got everything as is after complete install.

Does it have to do with the fact than when i install zorin, or any other linus os for that matter, assigns the 2nd usb as sdc1 and the live usb as sdb1, but when booting the fully installed zorin becomes sdb1 ?

Wolfman

Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:28:06 pm

Hi,

you need to identifiy which of the USB sticks is indeed taking the "Boot Loader", how many options do you have for the boot loader insztall when you are asked at the installation window??.

You can try using "Boot Repair", you would need another USB stick otherwise it will wipe everything on the drive:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1895

I recommend you use Unetbootin despite your dislike of the app!!.

Auldyin

Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:52:07 pm

Hi tintin

I recently installed Zorin 6.1 to a 16GB USB stick. The reason was because I had an ultra speed 32MB/s read 16MB/ write ( of course in real life you are lucky to achieve half these speeds, but is still pretty fast for USB ) Transcend USB Flash Drive and I was curious to see If it was fast enough to use Zorin 6.1 without installing to the hard drive.
To do this I used a live Zorin 6.1 on a 8GB USB stick with 4GB persistence I booted this up and ran the install from the desktop icon. I selected the other option and installed as the followin pictures.

gpart6.1.jpg

I just made 1 ext4 root / partition and marked to boot from dev/stb not dev/sdb1 I think this is where you are going wrong.

du6.1.jpg

Notice in this picture the the 1.1 GB Solid-State Disk this is the swap partition the installation automatically added.

zor6.1.jpg

This is the Zorin I made but I find it is too slow I might as well be back with a Windoze installation so I wouldn't recomend it. It's better to use a USB stick for a live version.

Cheers Auldyin

:D :D :D :D :D :D