This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

no mic input

rbhebron

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:45:40 pm

hello...

have successfully installed my ZORIN 6-32 bit and its working... so i thought... when i installed the SKYPE app, i found out that my mic is not working... i went to the >all settings >sound to see if the mic input is on and working.. but there seemed to be no sound detected by the built-in mic... im running the ZORIN 6-32bit on my lenovo G485 with 4gb (3.5gb can be seen) memory... first i thought it was a hardware problem, but when i run the lscpi -vvnn... these are the sound items on the output...:

00:01.1 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Wrestler HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6250/6310] [1002:1314]
Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:397f]
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 45
Region 0: Memory at f0344000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

00:14.2 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson Azalia Controller [1022:780d] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:397f]
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=slow >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 32, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 46
Region 0: Memory at f0340000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

..i think there is an active audio hardware working except that there is no mic input... but there is audio-out... this is because i can play and hear the audio on videos and music when i do so...

what should i do / suggestions...? many thanks...

madvinegar

Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:17:40 pm

Hi. First open terminal and write
Code:
alsamixer

Move around using the arrow keys and make sure that no bar (especially the mic bars) are not muted. Use the "M" key to toggle between mute/unmute.
The "MM" means muted. The "00" means unmuted.

If that does not work open terminal and write
Code:
gstreamer-properties

In the first tab, lower part, it says "input".
Try the various settings to see if the mic works.

Finally, you can try one more thing (in case your mic is monophonic, instead of stereo).
Install from software center the "pulse audio volume control manager".
Open it, and go to the tab that says "input".
You will see two bars (one for the left channel and one for the right channel).
Above these bars there is an icon with a small "lock". This "lock" makes the two channels, left and right, move together. Click on this icon to "unlock it" so as the two bars can move independently.
Place one of the bars, i.e. the left channel bar, to zero, and the other bar, i.e. the right channel bar, to full volume.
Save, exit and test if your mic works.

rbhebron

Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:44:16 pm

hello madvinegar...

thanks & here it goes...

tried the alsamixer and it says that the capture is 100<>100 with mic boost 40db
but still no mic input...

using gstreamer...
tried ASLA /default - no mic input
tried pulse / built-in HDMI stereo - no mic input
tried pulse / built-in analog stereo - no mic input

by the way, when i press "test" on the input ... shud i hear anything..? coz i didnt..
so i went back to the system >settings >input to test if the mic are working..
but all variations does not make the mic working...

please advise...

rbhebron

Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:49:19 pm

hello madvinegar..

by the way... using gstreamer, the following output was shown...

(gstreamer-properties:30241): Gtk-WARNING **: Unknown property: GtkDialog.has-separator

(gstreamer-properties:30241): Gtk-WARNING **: Unknown property: GtkDialog.has-separator
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'artsdsink'
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'esdsink'
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'sunaudiosink'
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'glimagesink'
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'sdlvideosink'
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'v4lmjpegsrc'
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'qcamsrc'
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'v4lsrc'
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'esdmon'
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'sunaudiosrc'

dont know if these are of any importance...

madvinegar

Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:57:31 pm

Have you tried the pulse audio volume control manager trick I advised?

Wolfman

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:03:49 pm

Hi,

please see this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2023&p=7875#p7875

Regards Wolfman :D

rbhebron

Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:05:44 am

hello madvinegar..
thanks your suggestions... here it goes...

looked at the software center & it says i have already installed all the pulse audio thingy...
opened the config thru sound & video.. tried to change the options but to no avail... still mic not working...

hello wolfman...
thanks your suggestions... here it goes...

have also done "libsox-fmt-all" and "paman" from the terminal & took a look at the synaptic
package manager to confirm & they are already all installed...
have tried to change the options but to no avail... still mic not working...

any other suggestions...?

Wolfman

Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:38:08 pm

Hi,

did you do this as suggested by the Pulse Audio link:

I also recommend installing the following packages using the terminal command:

sudo apt-get install non-free-codecs faac flac

(non-free-codecs requires the Medibuntu repo to be active: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu )

Have you checked the input/output sections of the volume control managers?.

rbhebron

Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:26:08 pm

hi wolfman...

did what yu suggested...

sudo apt-get install non-free-codecs faac flac

still no mic input...

have checked the output of the sound settings volume control manager... they are all at 100%
and of course the on/off button, just to be sure... and they are all "on"..

Wolfman

Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:42:14 am

Hi,

have you selected the right hardware device and is the slider all the way to 100% in "Input". Your input window should look like this:
Sound_001.jpg

You will notice I have more than one device so it is important to select the correct one!!.

Let us know if this helps.

Don't allow Skype control of the mic, check that in Skype sound settings and take out the tick should there be one in the box!!.

rbhebron

Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:40:40 am

hello wolfman...

seems i dont have a microphone input on the > all settings > sound input config.. all i have is analog input on the connector and built-in audio analog stereo for the device available

[attachment=0]audio settings.png[/attachment]
what does this mean... ?

Anonymous

Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:09:29 am

This might help you visualize a little better in addition to what the others are trying to say!!! >>>>>Good Ref : http://askubuntu.com/questions/163729/m ... g-in-skype

Good Ref : http://askubuntu.com/questions/185594/m ... -g580?rq=1

Wolfman

Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:55:50 am

rbhebron wrote:hello wolfman...

seems i dont have a microphone input on the > all settings > sound input config.. all i have is analog input on the connector and built-in audio analog stereo for the device available

audio settings.png

what does this mean... ?

Hi,

further to Datek1's advice, where it says "Connector"; there is a drop down menu where it says "Analog Input", if you click on the little arrow, it should say "Internal Microphone" on a notebook!!.

rbhebron

Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:59:27 am

hello wolfman...

sorry...

have clicked connector and there's no other choice on the drop down menu...
just analog input... is this bad..?

rbhebron

Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:19:58 am

hello datek1 & wolfman...

ohhhh my.... something went wrong...

i followed the suggestion of datek1 to upgrade the LINUX kernel to 3.5 quantal..
using sudo...;

linux-headers
linux-headers-generic
linux-image-generic
linux-image-extra-generic

You can also download the previous stable kernel 3.0 / 3.1 / 3.2 / 3.3 / 3.4.6 from kernel.ubuntu.com and follow the same steps to install it. Use “dpkg -i kernel-name” and just change the kernel name to latest kernel version.

If you are using 32-bit version then download the following packages.

linux-headers_all.deb
linux-headers-generic_i386.deb
linux-image-generic_i386.deb
linux-image-extra-generic_i386.deb

...and EVERYTHING went blank... cant even enter the main UI... so i rebooted to see if it was just an installation that needs to reboot... it shows the initial selection where you can boot the latest kernel, recovery mode.. etc... when i select the normal boot... it just goes blank... so i rebooted and selected recovery mode..
and tried dpkg, grub, fsck etc.. and each time i just got a screen that says...

fsck:
ZORIN_06: clean 290333 / 6111232 files 4267998 / 24439808 blocks

then it stops there... ohhhh my...

just for further info... i have installed ZORIN 06-32bit version on a LENOVO G485 with 4Gb memory..

Wolfman

Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:00:29 am

Hi,

did you install the kernel using the commands at the top or the ones that he suggested for 32 Bit??.

Take a look here, you will have to go into Recovery Mode to do this and drop to the "Root Shell" to execute the commands:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubun ... OldKernels

Another option is to boot into "Previous Kernels" and choose the one that was the last one you used on the list the list and I am not talking about the one you just installed, once booted, open Synaptic and search for all the new kernel packages you installed and mark them for removal and reboot.

rbhebron

Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:11:45 pm

thanks a lot guys....

...booting from an old kernel... it booted successfully.. and i was able to remove all the 3.5 kernels thru the synaptic manager...
im now booting from a 3.2 kernel system... system working again...!!

using uname -r... it says
3.2.0-33-generic-pae

however... still have the mic not working problem though...

Anonymous

Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:27:33 pm

I brought a big box home today with 14 or so Notebooks inside from my store. I have way to many too keep laying around to collect dust. For my son is going to paly around with all, to get them ready for donating to a (Kids With Needs) charity we do every Christmas. While my Little E is seeing what works and what doesn't, he can see what he can find out for you concerning the Skype issue !!! We'll be in touch!!!

I put a warning over on the thread >>Tinkering with Ubuntu 12.10<< Just in case someone tries to use that thread for upgrading kernel's on Zorin Os 6. If that's what you were referring to. Sorry about that, I should have stated more clearly what that thread was supposed to be used for in the beginning.

We'll get back to ya quickly as possible
D1 Little E

Anonymous

Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:32:09 am

Curiosity kills the cat. If that's a hint , I'll keep two of the Notebooks aside and look into that for you if your interested. If not leave me a answer !!!!

Wolfman

Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:55:18 am

Hi,

just my tuppence worth again.

Go into BIOS at boot time and reset BIOS to "Default" settings, you should be able to do this by pressing the F7 key!!.

Also; you can take a look at this guide:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sound ... gProcedure

Another thing is to check that the package "w32codecs:i386" is installed.

sudo apt-get install w32codecs:i386

And let us know if it is, it may well already be installed!!.