This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Of OS-es and processors getting hot

daveca

Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:41:35 am

Theres been mention of Ubuntu OS-es causing processor overheating. Here are some observations thru installing Zorin on a 6 year old high speed AMD machine (1.8GHz)

1.) Theres really no such thing as an OS causing a processor to overheat, that is, with respect to some other OS. The processor(s) generate heat in proportion to the instructions it is executing, at the speed at which it does so. Since the same processor, command set and command interpreter (thats not always true, but for logics sake), will be used regardless of which OS is using it (or abusing it as in Widow$ case), it is illogical to say one or the other OS will "cause" overheating.

Some things can cause a relative increase in heat:

1.) code efficiency. As an example, writing code in Assembler is more execution-efficient that C, its just tighter code and runs faster. The drawbacks to using assembler go way off topic from here.

2.) Age. Processors make a great deal of heat as they use electrical current and that heat must be dissipated. My 6 year old HP laptop was just disassembled down to the processor socket, as I knew it was more than old enough to have had the heat sink compound dried hard as a rock, and it was.

Years ago, RCA televisions had catastrophic failures due to excessive heat sink compound being used on horizontal output transistors.

Dried out heat sink compound needs to be replaced, and/or excessive needs removed. In this HP, excessive compound was used, such that it spilled over and insulated the side of the die. Silicone compound is a heat-insulator when used in excess.

It is a difficult and risky process to disassemble a heat spreader and remove the old compound and replace it with new, as there is ample chance for ESD to destroy anything on the motherboard, or have a screwdriver slip and send keyboard caps flying across the room. i did the second one...

The spreader assembly was loaded with dust, which greatly impaired airflow.

So, on a computer thats much more than 4-5 years old, especially with significant use, this must be done, especially if a laptop is used as a laptop, instead of on a desk. Laptop use both increases internal temperature, and makes for more debris in the heat spreader fins.

3.) My HP came with drivers and one was a utility to slow processor speed and manage voltage, to slow the clock, thus the system, down when (supposedly) not needed. Since it cannot anticipate that I intend to run its legs off at most all times, I fail to see how it knows, maybe its magic?

That utility was not installed last time around, and Window$ execution is faster, and hotter. With new and properly installed heat spreader and a clean one, its presumably back to new performance.

Wolfman

Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:23:22 am

Hi,

just one further point, some people NEVER clean the fan intake(s) on their PC's which also contributes to overheating. Laptop/Notebook users often put them on the bed or couch and block the intake and wonder why their PC'S crash on them!!.

Always put your PC where it has an unrestricted air flow to the fan(s) and check the fan for dust build-up now and then!!. Put a Notebook/Laptop on a flat board if you want to use it in bed or on the couch!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

daveca

Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:09:16 pm

Im lap-topping right now and its difficult to remember to not block the fan inlet with my pants.

easy solution is to use a metal baking tray upside down, the metal acts as a heat sink also.

Is there any point in my posting details of how to renew the processors heat sink?

PS the old HDD that was just replaced, as it was failing due to bad sectors, had a record of overheating which can only come from laptop use.

the HDD and RAM covers have been removed to allow more airflow.

Amazing the benefits of a new HDD on an old computer!

Wolfman

Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:45:55 am

Hi Dave,

I would leave heat sink for the experts as I have never done such a thing, keeping the air flowing though the PC is the real important part!!.

I bought a PC tray recently for €19, it has a flat surface and a cushioned base so it is very comfortable and keeps the laptop stable!!. (Also; it can double as a food tray!!)

Wolfman

Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:31:43 am

@Swarf,

it is a PC tray and not a mobile bar :D :D :D :D :D :D

Seriously though; I don't recommend putting drinks on it!!.