This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Wireless Setup

ed_MRG2

Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:06:08 pm

I am trying to use a Belkin N300 mini USB wireless adaptor for internet. It picks up the modem signal, but when I try to get it to connect it asks me for the modem security key and attempts to connect for a few minutes and asks for the key again. I have checked the security key several times and it is correct. I have updated Zorin and I have searched in the addional drivers application. Does anyone know how to fix this issue? Or know of a wireless USB adaptod that works with Zorin OS 6? :?:

madvinegar

Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:43:30 am

Please give some more info. Post the results of:
Code:
lsusb -nn
sudo lshw -c network
sudo rfkill list all

Wolfman

Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:53:34 am

Hi,

sounds like you are not putting in the correct password, it takes a while to decide whether or not the password is valid, the password (SSID password) should be on your router, it is not asking for your normal user password.

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:05:13 am

Sometimes firstly it asks for the user password and then for the wireless security key.

Wolfman

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:07:30 am

madvinegar wrote:Sometimes firstly it asks for the user password and then for the wireless security key.

Hi MV,

then he may not have "Connect Automatically and For All Users" ticked!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

ed_MRG2

Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:55:13 am

It is asking for just the network key and it is correct. I tried using your instructions Swarfendor, however I am deeper in a hole. Now both the wireless and wired will not work. When I tried installing the Belkin N300s drivers again using the windows wireless drivers software it came up with a Fatal: Module Ndiswrapper error, I looked in symantic package manager and the latest Ndiswrapper software is installed.

Anonymous

Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:53:56 am

After your done with everything, and that's if you haven't already turned your modem and router to reset your (Network). Turn both the Modem and Router off. Wait a few minutes. First boot up your modem completely where all the lights are blinking. Then boot up your router.

Most of the time this can solve your problem for both Windows and Linux!!!

Note:>> (This all to be done with the computer off) >>> If you want a good external cheap wireless adapter >>> Look for a (NETGEAR WNA-1100)

madvinegar

Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:27:43 am

Why are you using windows wireless drivers? I think that your dongle can be activated just by linux firmware.

ed_MRG2

Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:28:52 pm

I will try resetting the router. I was able to get the wired connection to work again, but Zorin will no longer pick up my wireless adaptor. When I first installed Zorin it recognized the adaptor, but wouldn't connect to the router. Thats when I tried installing the drivers off of the Belkin's CD (Windows drivers). This killed the adaptor though in the sense that Zorin wont pick it up anymore. I took the drivers off the system and it still wont register the device as being plugged in. Thinking about reformatting and reinstalling Zorin just to get it to at least pick up the adaptor again and try this all over again from the beginning. I have tried using the terminal as well as you suggested and using the commands you gave me and it keeps coming up with syntax errors. Sorry guys... new here at linux if you can't tell. :P

ed_MRG2

Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:30:14 pm

Datek,

Does the Netgear adaptor you are talking of typically just work right out of the box? I am beginning to wonder if the Belkin adaptor is just one that isnt fully compatible with Zorin.

Anonymous

Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:20:45 pm

ed_MRG2 wrote:Datek,

Does the Netgear adaptor you are talking of typically just work right out of the box? I am beginning to wonder if the Belkin adaptor is just one that isnt fully compatible with Zorin.

This will work perfect for what you need and their not expensive. Here's a link that way you know what to look for:>>>> http://netgear.com/home/products/wirele ... 1100.aspx#

Check your Wine folder in main Menu to make sure the Windows Software is removed.

And use the Janitor cleaning tool afterward that comes with Ubuntu Tweak just to make sure!!!