This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

having touble installing from livecd.

SkyBadger

Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:06:15 am

i had just burned a copy of zorin os 6 onto a dvd and popped it into my drive. my install disk will boot into the first menu and whenever i select boot from the live system, boot from safe graphics or the install directly it freezes. it has some odd artifacts toward the top and some messed up pixels.
i let it sit for a hour to no avail. how do i fix this?
i am using a compaq nc6000 buisiness notebook with 1gb ram and a 1.6 pentium m processor. it already has a copy of windows 7 i am trying to replace with zorin core.

SkyBadger

Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:56:38 am

swarfendor437 wrote:It could be a graphics issue or the 'recovery' partition is stopping Zorin from seeing the main drive. I would backup your Windows Data and Windows installation frist to make sure you have a working system to go back to as Zorin recommends you try the system live before installing to make sure it will run correctly. If you are SURE you want to delete everything, download a copy of GParted Live (haven't got the link to hand) boot from the CD or usb and delete the partitions that show up in the partitoner. Then put your DVD in the drive and boot into live mode to see that everything is OK.

Well i tried what you said but it did not work for me. so i tried a copy of the lite version and the install worked. i think it had something to do with my processor being i386. i'm actually quite happy with this particular flavor of linux. wine combined with play on linux makes me still be able to play my games and it runs much nicer than my previous os. the only problem i have is the lite version did not come with the windows 7 theme. is there a way i can get it or do i just have to settle with the mac/windows 2000 themes?

Wolfman

Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:32:31 am

Hi,

when you burnt the ISO to disk, did you burn it at the slowest possible speed??. If you didn't, this may well be the cause of the disk not responding correctly and you need to re-burn it!!.

The W7 look isn't available for Zorin Lite afaik!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

SkyBadger

Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:31:52 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Hi SkyBadger, forgot that the 32-bit is a pae kernel designed for newer Intel processors and using 4Gb RAM or more. I did install 6.1 Lite a while back and I installed GnoMenu which gave me more menu options than in the official 6 - more like 5.2! Search for GnoMenu and install the package and see if it works for you - the only issue I had is that it would tend to launch by itself on 6.1 and would take a couple of clicks on the Z button to clear it from the desktop - good luck!

i have it installed but it doesn't show up in the add to panel.
actually, now that i look at it, there is no add to panel function. just add panel items.

Wolfman

Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:03:12 am

Hi,

if you are talking about the panel in the "Gnome 2" look:

Press Alt +Super (Windows key) then right click on top panel > Add to panel > Application launcher >then add the icons you want from the list.

To remove icons: Alt + Super > right click over icon you want to delete then on "Remove".

Let us know if this helps.

see also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2054

Regards Wolfman :D