This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Update Error

LoneWolf

Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:15:30 am

HI, I'm currently running Zorn Ultimate 5. I recently went out of town and when I came back I keep getting the following error:

W:Failed to fetch http://extras.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/n ... ce/Sources 404 Not Found
, W:Failed to fetch http://extras.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/n ... 4/Packages 404 Not Found
, E:Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Yes I know it is an old version but it has worked very nicely. My question is, Has Natty reached it's end of life cycle?

Thanks

Wolfman

Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:26:27 am

Hi,

see table of versions here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ubuntu_releases

For update problems:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Let us know if you have any further problems.

Regards Wolfman :D

Auldyin

Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:45:58 pm

Hi LoneWolf

I'm staying with Zorin 5.2 . To fix update error, open Update Manager - Settings - Other Software - and untick the two independent sources as in this picture --------------

update.jpg

I've been trying out a lot of new distros, the best I've found so far is the new Mint 14, it's good works strait out of the box no faults or errors, but it's still not as good as my Zorin 5.2.

Cheers Auldyin

:D :D :D :D :D :D

LoneWolf

Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:12:33 pm

Auldyin that did the trick, I knew it was getting close to the end but I wasn't sure when. Like you I have been looking around and I currently have Mint 13 XFCE installed on my test box and so far I like it. I'll give Mint 14 a spin as well.

Wolfman, that answered my question, support ended the 28th of Oct.

Thank you both for the help and quick replies.
Bill

Auldyin

Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:47:29 pm

Hi LoneWolf

Glad to help :) :) :) . I intend to stay with Zorin 5.2 as long as possible even though we are now up the creek without a paddle. Here is a screenshot of Mint 14 Cinnamon running on a 8GB stick with 6GB persistence ----------------------

cmint.jpg

It's almost O.K., but although I can increase the size of the bottom panel I haven't yet managed to increase the size of the icons or fonts on it, this is not good for my old eyes. :geek: :ugeek: :shock:

Cheers Auldyin

Auldyin

Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:11:49 pm

Hi again

Iv'e managed to fix the panel icon size problem it was in the panel settings staring me in the face but my old eyes couldn't see it. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Cheers Auldyin

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Auldyin

Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:51:23 pm

How about some Eye Candy :shock: :shock: :shock:

hbabe.jpg

The hotter the computer gets the hotter the girl gets.

Or is it the other way around :?: :?: :?:

Cheers Auldyin

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

LoneWolf

Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:55:19 pm

Auldyin that is a good looking desktop! After reading your post about Mint 14 I have been out looking at it and I think I will give it a try. I was looking at Mint 13 because it is an LTS and I guess getting older I just don't have the desire to swap out OS's no my main box like I use to. I also understand about old eye's, I have 2 pairs of glasses in front of me. One regular pair and the for working on the computer. :x :x

LoneWolf

Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:14:11 pm

I always like eye candy. Trouble is the wife doesn't always agree. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Are you using Mate or Cinnamon?

Auldyin

Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:58:37 pm

Hi LoneWolf

That picture is of Cinnamon, Iv'e also tried Mate and it seems just as good. The Hot Babe prog was in the Software Centre, my old eyes managed to spot it, and I always though Mint was so dull.

Cheers Auldyin

LoneWolf

Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:31:46 pm

Just thought I would check in and let you know I installed Mint 13 XFCE over the weekend and so far I like it. Today is a cold, damp, deary day here so I spent the day tweaking and customizing the install. I'll still be coming back here from time to time, I have quite a few friends, family and client's that I have moved from Windows over to Zorn that I still have to support. Thanks for your help and info.