This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Lost the Zorin theme and Z button

busterdan

Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:34:10 pm

Hi all... first message as I've only been a Zorin user for a few hours.

Almost immediately after installing I seemed to lose the Z button.... it being replaced with a Ubuntu icon instead (that seems to be a common problem having searched around).

I tried to change it back but I didn't really know what I was doing... I tried the theme switcher and I notice how my Dock icons don't seem to be Zorin Theme ones, Anyway I uninstalled the Z button theme thinking I could reinstall it but that didn't work... the situation I have at the moment is that I can access any applications at all. Reading around here I have managed to run Ubuntu Tweak and "Zorin OS" and "ZorinOS" but selecting these doesn't seem to do anything even having logged in/out...

Any idea's please?

Wolfman

Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:24:02 am

Hi,

if you can remember the name of the packages you uninstalled, you will first need to re-install them. Press "Ctrl + Alt + t" and enter the following command:

sudo apt-get install gnome-menus

I am not sure if that is the right package, maybe someone else can help you out, you can replace "gnome-menus" with the real name of the package if you know what it is!!.

Try pressing Alt + F2 and type "look-changer" and see if you can change to lets say; the Gnome 2 desktop.

Also, run "dpkg" in recovery mode following this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Let us know if this helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

busterdan

Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:12:00 am

Hi Wolfman and many thanks...

I haven't run dpkg in recovery yet but I have tried reinstalling gnome-menus and simply get

gnome-menus is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Your suggestion to get into look-changer does help... at least this way I can access the apps. If I use the Windows 200 theme I get a working Z button and launchpad. However using Windows 7 or XP it simply displays as a non-functioning unhappy face icon, the other themes are also OK... Unity, Gnome etc...

I have managed to get the Zorin OS icons back (for example power, wifi, sound) so it is just the Z button that is a problem. I uninstalled it from a app where I could also choose to have a blue square icon (not that that worked either). There was an option to install/uninstall - I'm not sure what this app was or how to get into it, but it allowed me to modify certain aspects of the theme.

Since having this problem I have had a few error messages popping up as well.... I've just been sending them off.

busterdan

Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:17:19 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Does this [STICKY] help?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2533

Also, open Synaptic Package Manager and in the search box enter 'Zorin' - if it states the packages are already installed, check mark for reinstallation and see if that helps.

If you can get a menu up in another look, right click the Z button in whatever Look you are in and make sure that in 'Preferences' (right-click logo select preferences then preferences tab) and check mark "Use distributor logo instead of theme logo" - theme logo would be the ubuntu symbol.

Still no had a chance to try dpkg and recovery...

Swarf thanks for your suggestion, I have tried these without success unfortunately.

The themes themselves seem to be intact... it is just the Z butoon in the Win 7 and XP themes... I don't seem to be able to find the theme install/uninstall app for the button now?... I think I maybe right clicked on the button... is there a short cut to load this app... basically it was in the bottom left corner of the window... displayed the Z button or a Blue Bar and has a install and uninstall button?

busterdan

Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:37:12 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:When you said you have tried those suggestions, did you try the synaptic route of installing the 2 zorin packages listed?

Yep I tried that... it reinstalled them but still hasn't resolved the button problem :(

busterdan

Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:24:13 am

Hi, doing that..... Dock Preferences is the option listed - then takes me into AWN Settings...

I can't see a Button Selection option anywhere.... this is the screen where I made the changes and now cant seem to get into again (is it specific to the Win7 theme?)... in AWN setings I just have the Preferences, Task Manager, Applets, Themes and Advanced tabs.

busterdan

Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:36:08 am

swarfendor437 wrote:If not GnoMenu might have become corrupt - if dpkg does not repair all I can suggest is a re-installation! Let us know if you get any further.

Sadly I can't run DPKG in recovery... simply because I am nowhere near my DSL connection and it will be a real pain to move the desktop to my router.

I think I will concede defeat and go for a reinstall...

Any suggestions on how best/cleanly to do this please. I am dual booting with Vista... both O/S share the same physical disk.

Thanks

busterdan

Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:05:59 am

Hi again... really appreciate your help BTW.....

Yes I don't have that option and haven't seen that screen since I uninstalled the Zorin button.

To install Zorin I first installed a clean Vista and then Zorin.... allowing Zorin to partition the primary drive.

busterdan

Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:18:37 pm

Thanks for that.... I'll try it now :)

busterdan

Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:58:19 pm

Hmmm that didn't work..... "Unable to find O/S" didn't seem to get to the grub boot screen..... just going to try again

busterdan

Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:10:38 am

swarfendor437 wrote:Now I would create a new partition to 'ext4', enter 15000 Mibs (15 Gb) at the start of the free space immediately after your Vista partition, and 'mark' it as '/'

Next create a partition at the END of the drive of 4096 Mibs (4 Gb) of 'Linux Swap'/'swap area.

Lastly, the bit in between your 15 Gb root ('/') partition and 'Linux swap' create a '/home' partition and format to 'ext4' file system.

Now before clicking on 'Next' after you have carried out and Applied your partition changes, make sure that the option at the bottom of the partitioner is pointing to the mbr or your Vista partition (sda1?) so that you will get Vista showing up in the GRUB screen.

Just trying again... firstly all the partitions are shown as "sdd-xxxx"
On my first install, the / partition was created as a logical drive and was given sdd05 I think. This time around I have changed it to be a Primary drive and it's now give sdd02. The other two partitions (ext4 "Home" and Swap) are logical drives. I'm not sure if this should make any difference.... guess I will know in about 20 minutes :)

busterdan

Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:32:55 am

Nope, same thing again... NO OS found....

This time I have just deleted the partitions in Gparted and then let the installer do it's own thing.... fingers crossed

busterdan

Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:53:07 am

Right that did work.... I'm back in Zorin... and Windows 7 mode :)

Wolfman

Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:00:28 am

Hi BD,

can we mark this as solved??.

Regards Wolfman :D

busterdan

Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:09:29 am

Yes please... this one is resolved.... I have other problems now though... :?