This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

No Desktop after login

DragonDonut

Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:46:50 pm

Hi, after installing the current drivers for my Nvidia graphics card (notebook geforce 540GT) while following this tutorial: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490 I get a blank screen containing only the background image and a movable cursor after rebooting and logging in. I am running the latest Zorin OS free version(6.1 64-bit) in dual boot with windows 7 64-bit. Anyone have an idea of why I might experience this problem? When I hit the power button on my pc I get a window with options for whether I would like to shutdown, restart etc. just like normal...

DragonDonut (Linux noob :P)

Wolfman

Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:06:26 am

Hi,

start your PC in "recovery Mode" and drop to root shell AFTER YOU HAVE CLICKED ON "NETWORK". (You must have a network cable plugged in, it won't work with Wifi!!!!!)

Type the following commands in the window:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

Then restart your PC using "Ctrl + Alt + Del".

let us know if this helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

DragonDonut

Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:48:54 am

Sadly it didn't work for me :( When I typed sudo apt-get install nvidia-current I got a message saying that it didn't install any packages, probably due to that I did the same while following the tutorial linked in my first post.

DragonDonut

Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:11:35 am

I have also tried to run the dpkg option, still no luck...

DragonDonut

Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:20:05 am

Hmm, now I got an error message from Compviz asking me to either restar the App or leave it closed while on the empty desktop