This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Lost Internet Connectivity

shkarst

Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:37:02 pm

Man, did I have a LINUX problem, it turned out this morning. I could not connect to any sites/URLS>>>ANY. My modem lights looked all green and normal, so I connected direct to the PC, eliminating the router, still NADA.

Switched to windows, and I thought the same thing, but DID finally connect. So back to Linux>>>Nada. Figured I had a DSL issue, so called up ATT and got FREAKIN INDIA. Worked with her awhile, most difficult to understand. She didn't know much about Linux so had me boot up on Windows. And it WORKED, back to Linux>>>NADA. Looked like my Linux OS took some kind of DUMP. Let her go. Booted up on the LiveBoot disc, it WORKED. Back to the INSTALLED OS>>>NADA. So I just got to RE-INSTALLING, but decided on not the FULL, but the LITE version, since it does everything I want to do, EXCEPT auto load my Bookmarks, etc, from the Windows side. So just manually did all that, what a PIA. Anyway poor Muttface is over 3 hrs. late on his Monday walk, so here we go. Weird arsed problem, maybe due to me using, "BLEACHBIT," thinking it is like CCleaner in Windows, but maybe not.

Could I have done this using BLEACHBIT????? If so, will never use that again!!!!

shkarst

Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:20:58 am

Nah>>I thought there was a Windows issue also, but I was just gun shy and it hadn't connected yet. And every time I booted over to Windows it connected fine to each and every site, back to Linux>>>NOPE. Cache issues???? I wouldn't see why. Booting up first thing in the morning and that cache should be fine. Hope I never see that issue again. I have Zorin Lite on both machines now.

kengator

Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:47:50 am

Anyway poor Muttface is over 3 hrs. late on his Monday walk, so here we go.

shkarst,

I bet the dog was darn happy to see you after 3 hours of holding it in. Heck of a picture: dog wagging its tale while crossing its rear legs.

Tell muttface that I said HI.

LOL

shkarst

Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:06:16 am

LOL>>>Still no one knowing what happened???!!!

shkarst

Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:00:14 am

Not at all, not one thing, not even anything from the Software center, and I had successfully been online prior to bedtime the night before. Shut down and went to bed. Got up as usual the next morning booting this desktop up, went back to read my morning paper, have my morning cup, as EVERY morning. Then came out here to do my morning online routine, and couldn't get to ANY server ON ANY site, which made me think my Internet connection was down, which it turned out not to be. Spun my wheels being an old ATT. retired tech, checking connections, connecting direct from modem to PC, eliminating my router, etc. Then finally after doing all that, I finally convinced myself that despite all normal lights on my modem that ATT had to have an issue, so despite not wanting to get stuck with someone probably from India>>LOL>>Which I ended up with anyway, I went through their whole ROBO TEST routine till I finally got that real person in India, which led to the discovery that everything worked in, Windows, but not my Zorin installed OS. I should have caught that myself without her earlier, because I had booted to windows on my own earlier, and thought, when I connected that whatever had cleared up, probably an inside or outside tech with their fingers in the wrong place, which happens a lot, did to me>>LOL. So went back to Linux, and BAM, NOTHING. That is when I figured, DANG DOWN AGAIN???!!! And then I called, not connecting the two, one working, one not. When I also, later, after letting her go, was able to connect using the LiveBoot Disc, that left only one bad guy, the installed version. So that is when I decided to RE-INSTALL, not knowing why, but figuring that would fix it and did. I'd still love to know WHAT & WHY. My old Tech, trouble shooting mind, is somewhere telling me that it may have been a bad Software update, but I am only guessing.

shkarst

Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:03:28 am

P.S. My County Computer expert, but a Windows guy, suspects that my Linux lost its' Network driver (s), and if I just re-installed those, that probably would have resolved it, but 1) I have no idea why they would have stopped working, and 2) I have no idea where in Linux you find those, and RE-INSTALL them, as you can do in Windows. Probably more of those (@#$%^&*) "sudo" commands, which I do not feel comfortable enough doing :-)

shkarst

Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:05:30 am

P.S.S.
"Hi shkarst, had you done anything such as a download or installation/upgrade prior to it going pear-shaped?"

The only UPGRADES I might have done before signing off for the night, were any Software Updates waiting.

shkarst

Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:20:20 am

Nope>>Was not Wireless. Was on my desktop which is connected with the ethernet to my ATT DSL connection

Wolfman

Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:58:27 am

Hi,

make sure your router is switched on and you are connected by the cable which you should check just to make sure it has not been pulled and thus; shorting out!!.

Then start your PC in recovery mode and run "dpkg" per this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Let us know if this helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

shkarst

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:31:54 pm

Wolfman>>I had eliminated the router, connecting directly to the modem, as I knew that ATT would ask me to do, upon calling them. But since going back and forth, Windows connected/WORKED, then later after letting the ATT person go, seeing that the LIVEBOOT disc also connected and worked, and still the INSTALL Zorin DID NOT, it was not a INTERNET CONNECTION PROBLEM, rather an INSTALLED Zorin OS problem, Ray Charles could have seen that>>LOL LOL :-)

Swarfendor>>I'll check those, but is a MOOT POINT now since I am up on working on the LITE version on this desktop, thanks.

shkarst

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:38:49 pm

P.S.There is a lot of stuff there under, "CONNECTION INFO," but items not listed anything as you LISTED, Swarf. I wish that this LITE version had, "SCREENSHOT," somewhere as the full version did. It may, but I have not located it yet. If it did, I'd take one for y'all

But as I said above, that is all MOOT when I have ELIMINATED the router anyway :-)

shkarst

Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:10:15 pm

YEAH, I tried that the other day, and if it worked, this dummy has no idea where it went>>LOL

shkarst

Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:35:59 pm

2012-11-29-112725_1024x768_scrot.png
HOPE THIS WORKED>>LOL
It worked, hitting my PRINT SCREEN key, and I have it in my "HOME" folder. But I have no idea how to get that PIC over here unless I can drag it.

shkarst

Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:38:49 pm

DANG, it WORKED. Guess I'm not as dump as I look>>LOL LOL :-).

Well OFFLINE now to get some reading done, till my next online session later this evening. Thanks for that screenshot info, swarfendor. Bu as I said earlier, all moot now :-)

By the way, I meant it worked the SCREENSHOT, not DRAGGING it over here>>LOL. For that I used the, "Upload Attachment," down below. OK OFFLINE time>>>Bye Y'all.

shkarst

Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:45:54 am

On my Netbook now, so can't check on that WIRED connection. Probably won't get back on my desktop till morning, so will try to remember then :-)

shkarst

Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:34:39 am

OK jumped onto my desktop just quickly while my TV program is DVR'g. Nothing on IPV4 or IPV6, just says, "AUTOMATIC." So shutting down for the day after this>>>>Night:

shkarst

Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:24:48 am

MAN, THIS SUCKS, I was downloading some ADDITIONAL Zorin Software. Got VLC PLAYER installed, then was installing WINE, when it failed. Tried again, and it kept saying, ERROR. Same thing happened, LOST ALL connectivity to any SITE/SERVER. I am up on Windows now, so my Internet CONNECTION is good. Tried to REPAIR BROKEN FILES using Zorin Recovery, still not working. Not sure why this is happening or what I am going to do about it. Don't want to RE-INSTALL again, because of having to RE-INSTALL all t hose updates. Could download the latest version and burn a new disc. But what is to stop it from happening AGAIN>>>c***>>c***>>c***!!!!!! Please do not say to check my Modem, router etc, since I am up and WORKING using Windows.

Wolfman

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:40:31 am

Hi,

have you installed something like "Stream" for Linux and do you have the firewall active and did you make any changes to it??.

Try a static IP address, please see this guide:

http://www.sitepoint.com/ubuntu-12-04-l ... nd-tricks/

shkarst

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:48:26 am

Called my county computer guy who has not had much chance to work with Linux, but he was researching on Google trying to find a solution. Had me try several TERMINAL commands, and nothing works. I have to tell y'all that all the CONNECTION INFO I screen saved earlier is still exactly the same, and he had me unplug the ethernet cable, and Zorin sees it get disconnected and says CONNECTED when I plug it back in. Once again WINDOWS works, but I am over on my netbook looking for a solution, but getting late, and Eric also had to go (Works tomorrow). I am not going to RE-INSTALL as I did Monday, not knowing why/what caused this. But I may boot up to Windows (Will have to) in the morning, and download an entirely different DIST, possibly MINT, and see how that goes. Night all, I am BEAT. No problem here on my netbook, but at the very first looked like what was affecting my desktop was also affecting the netbook's Zorin, for only a couple or so minutes, then everything started working, connecting???!!! Well off to bed>>>Night

Wolfman

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:50:45 am

Goodnight and let us know how you get on!!.

shkarst

Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:13:40 pm

untitled.JPG
Nah>>If you remember this previous PIC, the IPV4 IS Complete. So I am done messing with this Zorin DIST. Will either download Ubuntu 12.10 shortly, or go with Mint, on this desktop. Not having this same issue on my Netbook, although for a couple of moments last night, I thought so while using it out here next to my dessktop trying to find a solution, but it cleared up. Probably was just waiting for the WiFi to fully wake up. One important NOTE, this problem with Zorin still will go on if I completely remove the router, and connect the PC DIRECT to the modem, as I found out the first time on Monday. So I am done>>LOL>>Download here I come:

madvinegar

Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:25:42 pm

Just out of curiosity, when your wireless connection is working, could you please post back the results of the following terminal commands:

Code:
lspci
lsusb
sudo lshw -c network
sudo rfkill list all

shkarst

Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:32:53 pm

Sorry guys it is not a WIRELESS issue with my Netbook, but a WIRED/Ethernet issue ONLY with the INSTALLED Zorin on this desktop. Windows works fine, connecting to all sites/servers, so does the LiveBoot Disc. So thanks for all your thoughts, but I am done. Will download/install a different DIST>>>Bye

madvinegar

Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:09:15 pm

The same commands apply for the wired connection. If you like post the results of the commands I requested because if it is a driver issue, it is very probable that you will face the same problems with any other distro.

shkarst

Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:47:19 pm

True enough, will have to see.

shkarst

Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:08:47 pm

OK gott the disc burnt on my desktop and will boot up on it next. Here over on my netbbok and typed those command in, and here is the result, which of course means NOTHING to this dummy>>LOL

shkarst

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:33:00 pm

Man I am so frustrated. I downloaded and burnt to disc Ubuntu 12.10, and was going to do a RE-INSTALL in place of my Zorin, which Eric, my Computer helper guy said is the same procedure as re-installing Zorin before. BUT a window came up I had not seen, saying that sda/dev>>>>was I believe it said, MOUNTED, and that if I wanted to try UNMOUNTING it Yes/No. It added hat if I did not I would not be able to add to or delete anything, or change its' partition. So I assumed that YES was the correct answer. but it was spinning its' wheel for so long that I became overly concerned, and QUIT out, trying to start it again, but it just keeps a spinning. So I gave up, and Eric is too busy at the moment at his County computer job, me running out of time, things to do when my Wife gets home soon. So packed the disc up, put the LiveBoot Zorin Light in my CD/DVD drive and booted off of that, working fine, RIGHT NOW. Having that disc in the drive gives me the choice of booting from that, or my Windows XP, OR EVEN the installed Zorin OS, which of course has that (@#$%^&*) connectivity issue>>>GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR>>LOL. Like Eric says, even though that is his JOB ALL DAY LONG (Help desk for the counties computer system), " I HATE COMPUTERS">>LOL LOL :-)

Anonymous

Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:52:08 pm

This Distro was designed for Netbooks:>>> http://pinguyos.com/2011/08/ping-eee-os ... pinguy-os/

You might want to take a look at this Distro for your NetBook!!!!!

shkarst

Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:56:01 pm

datek1 wrote:This Distro was designed for Netbooks:>>> http://pinguyos.com/2011/08/ping-eee-os ... pinguy-os/

You might want to take a look at this Distro for your NetBook!!!!!

1) I will not be putting anything else on my netbook, Zorin Lite is there and will stay, if THAT one does not mess me up there :-)

2) I will no longer be putting any DIST of Linux on this desktop due to me being up till 1:30am THIS MORNING, because of the following. I was warned about using Linux by a good CyberPal who also went through a similar experience, so I am done with it here on my desktop, but will continue using it on my netbook. Also, I rec'd a 2G RAM card in the mail yesterday and will be doubling my netbook's RAM, so hopefully will see increased functionality there. I can't do anything about its' slow ARSED 900MHz processor though. Anyway, the following is what my day was like yesterday. So the conclusion is that my Linux problem is solved here, since I will no longer install Linux on this desktop:

Unfortunately I was trying to install Ubuntu 12.10 and it wouldn't let me, neither could I RE-Install Zorin, because something appeared to have happened to the partition. Eric (My computer guy over at the County) told me to go into DISC MANAGEMENT and DELETE (Right Click) the Linux partition side, which I believed to have done properly, but he was at work, and I thought I did it right. I turned my Desktop into a brick, also wiping out my EX HD data apparently too. It was a good thing that I followed a friends advice the day or two after when I bought this desktop (Apr 2006), and Burned the TWO DVD disc (System Recovery) worked great, but I have been working my a** off, putting stuff half way back the way I want, and haven't even seen the MS Updates auto start yet. Don't say I told you so, it was ME that messed up, not Linux, in that DISC Manager. But things are looking good, and soon as I get things all back in order, including the MS Updates even is back on IE6>>LOL>>I do not plan to put Zorin's Linux LITE back on here. And will NEVER EVER mess around with DISC MANAGEMENT again, unless Eric is sitting right here. Well gotta go, still lots to do>>>Bye.

Has been a GREAT lesson. I bought that darn EX HD Backing things up primarily for years worth of MS Updates, and then blew that away too. In hind sight, I should have unplugged the EX HD, before messing around in the Disc Manager.

That was yesterday. Just finished up the rest of the MS Updates, which I could not even get the machine to do, till I installed XP Service pack 3 and .Net Framework 2.0, then using this Update "FIX IT" tool, which DID fix my not being able to start MS Updates. Everything is now back in order. Still need to run my Avast Boot Time Scan, Malwarebyte, delete TEMP files, making sure that I have a CLEAN machine. Then create a new/Fresh Backup.on my now EMPTY EX HD.

shkarst

Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:50:40 pm

Swarf>>>Thanks but all a MOOT point now. Desktop is back to the day it was new (Apr. 2006, and I have made it the most functional FOR ME, adding back in the programs I need/want. Then yesterday ran my scans (MalwareBytes and my Avast Boot time scans (THREE TIMES), each finding, "PUPS," (Google that>>>http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/definition/PUP). I spend around 10 hrs. putting things back in order that day I BRICKED this desktop, then letting the MS Updates, near 200 with all the High Priority and optional updates, download install all night long, after I went to bed. After running my scans yesterday, and clearing out all the PUPS found, I then did a FRESH / NEW Back up to my WD EX HD. This Windows XP desktop is now booting up faster than it has in a very long time, with more than 10G Less data being used on my "C" drive (Just for my Windows), as quick as Zorin did, which will NO LONGER be INSTALLED on this machine, or any OTHER DIST. I will use it on my Netbook though, as long as it functions there, which so far it has. But thanks for y'all's help/input, trying to help me on the NO CONNECTIVITY Issue this last week. By the way, if I had not WISELY, due to a friend's advice, had NOT BURNT those TWO DVD System Recovery discs (Back in Apr 2006), this desktop would either have been for the trash pile, or I could have gotten a disc from Eric with Windows XP, or I could have made this solely a LINUX machine at that point, with the Zorin DISCs OR Ubuntu Discs I burned, that will now remain UNUSED>>LOL LOL :-)

shkarst

Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:53:28 pm

1) My Asus Netbook came with a Disc that includes the Recovery (Eric verified, checkd on his set up).

2 )I had SpyBot on my PC before all this also, but it never found anything, since I always clean stuff up signing off each night using CCleaner. Avasts Boot Time IMO is the best, also looking for Malware, often times detecting stuff that Nothing else ever finds, GREAT program IMO, And the FREE version too. Anyway take care>>>Bye