This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED]CD-RW & CD/DVD-RW drives

mr.purrfect58

Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:29:28 am

Hi there, well here I am again with new problems. I have been trying to learn as much about Zorin as I could for the past few months. But I still don't have a OS that is trust worthy. One of the problems I have is it don't see my CD-RW & CD/DVD-RW drives. I can't find them in my home file, computer files, and any where else I have tried to look. They do show up in the CMOS and the Boot Menu, but I cannot install anything from these drives. I have the CD from Zorin Group and it won't install. So what is wrong or what did not get loaded correctly? Any info will be very helpful. Thanks Larry :(

Wolfman

Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:27:18 pm

Hi Mr P,

install the package "dconf-tools" if you don't already have it installed and then open Dconf Editor and go to:

Dconf Editor > Org > Gnome > Desktop > Media-Handling > Automount/Automount-open/Autorun Never

and see what your settings are, it may not be automounting!!.

Hope it helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

mr.purrfect58

Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:24:40 am

Hi there, thanks for the info. I will try to do what you said Wolfman, and Swarfendor437 both drives work, they are not seen in the OS. Thanks Larry

mr.purrfect58

Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:14:01 am

Hi Everyone,
Well I am back, Wolfman, I installed dconf-tools. It was not installed, I don't see how to install the drives I need through this program. I went and read every title and subtitle to find how to install the drives, no luck. Either I don't know what I am reading, or it isn't in this program. I have spent hours reading everything I could, I have learned alot but not how to install the drives! This is getting very frustrating, I thought I would have Zorin working by now. So if anyone knows how to fix my problem please send me the info!!
Thanks Larry ( Mr. Purrfect58 )

spavila

Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:33:31 pm

mr.purrfect58 wrote:Hi Everyone,
Well I am back, Wolfman, I installed dconf-tools. It was not installed, I don't see how to install the drives I need through this program. I went and read every title and subtitle to find how to install the drives, no luck. Either I don't know what I am reading, or it isn't in this program. I have spent hours reading everything I could, I have learned alot but not how to install the drives! This is getting very frustrating, I thought I would have Zorin working by now. So if anyone knows how to fix my problem please send me the info!!

Try a simple test by inserting a blank DVD in your optical drive.

Below is a screenshot of half the desktop on the left side and the file manager on the right side of the screen.

Now, I will insert a blank DVD in the optical drive.

Notice the desktop showing the blank media and the file manger showing a blank DVD (this is outlined in red).

Now, I removed the blank DVD and inserted the Zorin OS install disc.

If you are still having problems, I would open up a terminal (type CTRL + ALT + T) and type the command sudo lshw -c disk and see what results are displayed. You should see a list of all your hard drives and optical drives.

If you do not see a listing for your optical drives, double check the cables are connected properly.

mr.purrfect58

Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:15:30 pm

Hi Everyone, well my problem about the optical is SOLVED. Thanks to everyone for the help and info.

mr.purrfect58

Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:04:37 am

Hi Everyone, I want to thank everyone that has helped me with this drive problem. I have them back to working now, for how long I don't know. So for now they are working and I can now do some burning to the disks. Anyway will some one mark this question SOLVED, well I must go and do something else. So thanks alot for all the help and info.
Thanks Larry (Mr. Purrfect58) :D