This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Dual boot Windows will can not be found

busterdan

Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:17:58 am

Having reinstalled Zorin I seem to have lost the Windows bootloader. I am running Windows Vista with Zorin, as reported in one of my other messages the only way I was able to reinstall Zorin was to delete the existing Zorin partitions and then let the installer do it's own thing.

Vista is listed on the grub loader screen but when selected the OS is not found.... I'm assuming this might be quite a quick fix but I have no idea how to do it.

Thanks for any help.

busterdan

Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:00:05 am

OK I'm back into Vista now.... using Repair and "Bootrec /fixboot"

Obviously this now means I can't boot into Zorin, any suggestions please on the best way to install the bootloader please.

busterdan

Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:14:14 am

Fixed it...in a way....

I've run EasyBCD on Vista and created a Windows boot entry for Grub2, when I select Zorin from the Windows bootloader it now displays the Grub loader.... so it's added a second screen in but I can live with that. :)

Wolfman

Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:20:17 pm

Hi,

try "Boot Repair":

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1895

Regards Wolfman :D

Auldyin

Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:51:25 pm

Hi busterdan

Try Startup-Manager available in the Software Centre, with it you can set the time of the 2nd screen to 0 etc.

Cheers Auldyin

:D :D :D :D :D :D

busterdan

Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:18:30 pm

Thanks guys.. :)

Deacus

Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:29:10 pm

Hi all I have the same problem, I done exactly as laid out here
http://www.techspot.com/community/topic ... 10.172128/
Created a partition + an 8gig swap (I have 8gig of ram) Booted Z6 & 6.1
from the dvd boot menu & loaded it after running live also tried both methods letting Zorin "install beside windows" each time I have no grub menu it will load Z only so I rebuild Win7 bootloader through the command prompt then only Win will load, I run boot repair & back to Z only :x
I have no idea what I am doing wrong I loaded 6.1 lite to an old lappy beside XP no problem, I do recall Z asking if I wanted to import settings from window but this option has not been available on my desk top.
Any Ideas anyone?

madvinegar

Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:06:48 pm

When you log into Zorin, open terminal and write
sudo update-grub

Reboot and see if in the grub options Win7 is included.

Deacus

Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:36:28 pm

Thanks for reply, I tried that Yesterday & It made no difference but I done it via live Cd is that correct?
I tried it with a different install a while back & it said something like cant locate drive, that was actually in the installed version should I try again or is it okay from the live boot?

Deacus

Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:40:34 pm

Shot of my drive
Disk.jpg

Deacus

Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:09:29 pm

madvinegar wrote:When you log into Zorin, open terminal and write
sudo update-grub

Reboot and see if in the grub options Win7 is included.
Ran boot repair now back to Z only no grub, log from terminal before I reboot & loose it
saturn@saturn-M68MT-S2:~$ sudo update-grub
[sudo] password for saturn:
Generating grub.cfg ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-32-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-32-generic
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Found Windows 7 (loader) on /dev/sda1
done
saturn@saturn-M68MT-S2:~$

Edit Z only still no grub (pulls out hair)

Deacus

Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:40:38 pm

Okay typed sudo gedit /etc/default/grub got this, maen anything to anyone?
saturn@saturn-M68MT-S2:~$
[sudo] password for saturn:

(gedit:6168): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-widgets.css:994:22: Not a valid image

(gedit:6168): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-widgets.css:1001:22: Not a valid image

(gedit:6168): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: nautilus.css:10:20: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.

(gedit:6168): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: nautilus.css:18:20: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.

(gedit:6168): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: nautilus.css:28:20: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.

(gedit:6168): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: nautilus.css:31:0: 'sideb' is not a valid property name

Deacus

Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:59:42 pm

Update partially solved
I didn't mention that after "loading operating system" the monitor goes blank & says "no signal" (its a LG TV) until Z suddenly pops on screen so I hit the down key four times then enter bingo I am back on 7 yippe!
I can live with that no worries but it would be nice if anyone has a fix, it is the same with Z6 & 6.1 core
Edit:
First the TV/monitor says "invalid format" this must be where grub should be showing then it goes to "no signal" then Z loads?
edit edit ; should I start a new thread about this & stop hijacking this one?

madvinegar

Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:45:01 pm

What GPU do you have?

Deacus

Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:51:00 pm

According to device manager if that's any good?
NVIDIA GeForce 7025 / NVIDIA NForce 620a
edit on the driver disk it reads
Gigabyte NVIDIA MPC61/MPC68 series
I never loaded that one as it makes the text to small

madvinegar

Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:43:01 pm

I suppose that the Nvidia drivers (that support the LG TV view) load when you get to your desktop. This is why you see no grub menu (but the grub menu is there).

Deacus

Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:51:14 am

No worries its nothing I cant live with, I don't intend using 7 much anyway only for the things I cant do with linux.
Thanks for your input

Deacus

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:51:43 am

Actually this is causing to be somewhat problematic as I cant see the grub using a wireless keyboard some times I don't hit the 4th option & loose the grub altogether I have tried a proper monitor with the same result must be the graphics card when I put sudo gedit /etc/default/grub in the term the file that opens reads as follows mean anything to you smart lot?
If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
# /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
# For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
# info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs
# This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains
# the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...)
#GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef"

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
#GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480
Heah?

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=***" parameter to Linux
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
#GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start
#GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"

Deacus

Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:00:43 pm

Thanks for that changed it to 3 made no difference though the "invalid format" seemed up for a shorter time so I guess its the time the grub is hidden?
GRUB_DEFAULT=0
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=3
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10

Deacus

Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:59:11 pm

Okay I just rebuilt the mbr formated the linux partition in Win7 reloaded zorin & back to square one no grub menu but down 4 + enter to boot 7 but this seems to only work for a while then its zorin only :evil: