This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

zorin 6 HP 2512 installed but no work

81golfcaddy

Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:55:44 am

hello I thought I posted this once but I can not find it if this is a repeat I am sorry.
I installed the HP deskjet 2512 it said printer added but printer or scanner is not functioning at all. scanner not detected. print a test page sayes complete but nothing happened. I know this is a supported printer because it worked in Solus OS Debian

madvinegar

Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:55:31 am

Download from software center "HPlip toolbox", and install the printer again via this program.

81golfcaddy

Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:43:39 pm

HPLIP toolbox will not find printer. I tried refresh and still no luck. I uninstalled the printer before I ran hplip toolbox I disconnected usb and reconnected then the printer installs (not using toolbox) and says ready but nothing happens.

81golfcaddy

Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:23:46 pm

no guarantees was correct. I tried just opening it and let it run but it froze and did nothing. I tried to install from terminal and it said missing dependencies can not install. any help would be appreciated thanks. like I said in thread this printer worked perfect in Debian scanner also.

81golfcaddy

Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:02:48 pm

I could try and see. as far as the debian I just opened the printer install software and it worked with out downloading anything. I was somewhat shocked since it is a brand new printer. I checked to what version of hplip Solus was using and it was 3.12 I have 3.12.2-1 ubuntu 3.1 I do not understand why it installs but nothing works. you would think a newer version would work

81golfcaddy

Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:25:31 pm

I seen one big mistake I was choosing 12.10 not 12.04 but now I can not get the file to run in Terminal I get this each time
steven@steven-ThinkPad-R61e:~$ cd Desktop
steven@steven-ThinkPad-R61e:~/Desktop$ sudo sh hplip-3.12.11.run
[sudo] password for steven:
sh: 0: Can't open hplip-3.12.11.run
steven@steven-ThinkPad-R61e:~/Desktop$

why cant it open the file. it is on my desk top also

madvinegar

Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:32:40 am

Try this
Code:
cd Desktop
sudo chmod a+x hplip-3.12.11.run
sudo ./hplip-3.12.11.run

81golfcaddy

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:13:20 pm

this is what I got on that command
steven@steven-ThinkPad-R61e:~/Desktop$ sudo chmod a+x hplip-3.12.11.run
chmod: cannot access `hplip-3.12.11.run': No such file or directory
steven@steven-ThinkPad-R61e:~/Desktop$ sudo ./hplip-3.12.11.run
sudo: ./hplip-3.12.11.run: command not found

madvinegar

Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:49:53 pm

It says
No such file or directory

This means that either the file name is mispelled or the file is not in the directory you provide (i.e. on the desktop).

81golfcaddy

Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:35:47 pm

this is the outcome of that command
steven@steven-ThinkPad-R61e:~/Desktop$ sudo chmod a+x hplip-3.12.11.run
chmod: cannot access `hplip-3.12.11.run': No such file or directory
steven@steven-ThinkPad-R61e:~/Desktop$ sudo ./hplip-3.12.11.run
sudo: ./hplip-3.12.11.run: command not found

I am sure we will get it I think I can I think I can

madvinegar

Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:23:29 pm

Copy-paste the file in your home folder.
Then run just
Code:
sudo chmod a+x hplip-3.12.11.run
sudo ./hplip-3.12.11.run

Again, make sure the spelling of the file is correct.

81golfcaddy

Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:08:24 pm

tried that and still no dice. I am going to delete this file and download once more save it to home folder and give it a try once more

81golfcaddy

Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:16:56 pm

well hot damn that worked but now what

steven@steven-ThinkPad-R61e:~$ sudo sh hplip-3.12.11.run
Creating directory hplip-3.12.11
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing HPLIP 3.12.11 Self Extracting Archive.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
warning: hplip-install should not be run as root.

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.12.11)
HPLIP Installer ver. 5.1

Copyright (c) 2001-14 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Installer log saved in: hplip-install_Wed-05-Dec-2012_13:13:40.log

\error: You are running the installer as root. It is highly recommended that you run the installer as
error: a regular (non-root) user. Do you still wish to continue?
Continue with installation (y=yes, n=no*, q=quit) ? y

note: Defaults for each question are maked with a '*'. Press <enter> to accept the default.
error: Auto installation is not supported for 'unknown' distro so all dependencies may not be installed.
Please install manually as mentioned in 'http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install/manual/index.html' web-site

Press 'y' to continue auto installation. Press 'n' to quit auto instalation(y=yes, n=no*): y

INSTALLATION MODE
-----------------
Automatic mode will install the full HPLIP solution with the most common options.
Custom mode allows you to choose installation options to fit specific requirements.

Please choose the installation mode (a=automatic*, c=custom, q=quit) : a

Initializing. Please wait...

INTRODUCTION
------------
This installer will install HPLIP version 3.12.11 on your computer.
Please close any running package management systems now (YaST, Adept, Synaptic, Up2date, etc).

DISTRO/OS CONFIRMATION
----------------------

DISTRO/OS SELECTION
-------------------

Choose the name of the distro/OS that most closely matches your system:

Num. Distro/OS Name
---- ------------------------
0 Mepis
1 Debian
2 SUSE Linux
3 Mandriva Linux
4 Fedora
5 Red Hat
6 Red Hat Enterprise Linux
7 Ubuntu
8 PCLinuxOS
9 Linux Mint
10 gOS
11 Linpus Linux
12 IGOS
13 Boss
14 Linux From Scratch

Enter number 0...14 (q=quit) ?7

Choose the version of "Ubuntu" that most closely matches your system:

Num. Distro/OS Version
---- ----------------------------------------
0 Unknown or not listed
1 8.04 ("Hardy Heron", Released 2008)
2 10.04 ("Lucid", Released 2010)
3 10.10 ("Maverick", Released 2010)
4 11.04 ("natty", Released 28/04/2010)
5 11.10 ("natty", Released 28/04/2010)
6 12.04 ("Precise", Released 28/04/2012)
7 12.10 ("Precise", Released 28/04/2012)

Enter number 0...7 (q=quit) ?6

Distro set to: Ubuntu 12.04

RUNNING PRE-INSTALL COMMANDS
----------------------------
OK

INSTALL MISSING REQUIRED DEPENDENCIES
-------------------------------------
warning: There are 7 missing REQUIRED dependencies.
note: Installation of dependencies requires an active internet connection.
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: gcc (gcc - GNU Project C and C++ Compiler)
warning: This installer cannot install 'gcc' for your distro/OS and/or version.
error: Installation cannot continue without this dependency. Please manually install this dependency and re-run this installer.
steven@steven-ThinkPad-R61e:~$

81golfcaddy

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:31:10 pm

I will try the gcc in synaptic but as far as the hplip in synaptic it is not the latest version and will not support my printer. I had a canon printer and couldn't even come close to getting it to work.

81golfcaddy

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:40:50 pm

tried the gcc 4.7 same error. got any more options to try ?

81golfcaddy

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:43:17 pm

well hot damn I got it to install. after a large amount of google search for the missing dependencies it loaded up and I can scan and print now. thanks for all the help. it would be nice if the self installer could install the missing dependencies.

81golfcaddy

Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:54:17 am

I now get this error message at each boot. system program problem detected.
also
HPLIP status service no system tray detected on this system. unable to start. exiting

81golfcaddy

Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:19:26 am

at each boot I get this
HP Device Manager
Queue needs to be reconfigured
deskjet 2510- series is not configured using hp-setup. click remove and setup to remove and reconfigure.
this is what I get when I do this
HP device Manager setup
Universal serial Bus (USB)
I click NEXT
it shows my HP 2510 series. I click Next
Printer Name Deskjet_2510_3
Description is blank
Location is blank
PPD file is too much to write. I click ADD PRINTER
Printer queue setup failed. could not connect to CUPS server
is user added to "lpadmin" group(s)
by now this is getting on my nerve. this printer used to work flawless on another linux OS.

I am still getting HPLIP status service
No system tray detected on this system

Also I have 3 printers on my printer list in settings. it gets worse.
I try to remove two of them and I can not unlock the printer settings. I type in root password and it continues to add another screen to enter again and again and your getting no where. all I can say is DAMN.

Also I assumed the Printer worked since the scanner is working. I was wrong it sends it and is saying printing completed. but printer never responded at all

Auldyin

Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:43:52 pm

Hi 81golfcaddy

Have a look at this post viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2467&start=10#p10814 It should help with your "No system tray detected on this system" problem.

Sorry I cant help with the rest :cry: :cry: :cry:

Cheers Auldyin

:D :D :D :D :D :D

81golfcaddy

Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:15:25 pm

sorry I had to do this I have spent too much time on the printer. it works great with no extra effort http://solusos.com/