This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to Install Nvidia Drivers

levinaris

Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:44:50 am

Hi,

With the Nouveau driver currently installed, I'm only getting 60 FPS from glxgears. My video card is capable of something closer to 3600+ FPS with it (Nvidia GT 555M). My assumption is that I'll need to install Nvidia's drivers to fully utilize this. Please advise.

Note: When I go to System Settings-> Additional Drivers, it finds none ("No propreitary drivers are in use on this system.").

Additional notes. To attempt installation, I have booted the system, hit Ctrl+Alt+F2 to hop over to tty2. Logged in as root, stopped the service lightdm. From there, I attempted to install the Nvidia drivers, yet it complains that Nouveau is in use. Their script attempts to disable it with a simple modprobe.d conf, yet does not succeed even after a reboot.

The only thing I could find online at this point was a lengthy process to rebuild initramfs. Seems a bit risky, so I'd rather avoid it if possible.

Thank you!

Anonymous

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:02:51 pm

Follow this>>>In order>>> Code : Open Terminal >> Ctrl +Alt + T >> Copy and Paste one by one.

1. : sudo apt-get --purge remove xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

2. : sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`

3. : sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates

4. : sudo apt-get update

5. : sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

6. : sudo update-alternatives --config gl_conf

7. : sudo ldconfig

8. : sudo update-initramfs -u

9. : sudo nvidia-xconfig

!0 : The End >>> Restart Computer

That should do it for ya !!!! ( it's not as bad as it looks)