This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Log-in and Shut-down window presentations

karleman

Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:22:54 am

I used GParted to resize the partition of ZorinOS 6.1 and moved it as well. All went okay and Zorin is working flawlessly.
However, the Log-in and Shut-down window presentations have changed. Instead displaying the "blue" screen with the 'Z' and rotating wheel in the Log-in window a 'running bar' at the bottom of the Log-in window is shown and a 'black, text-based' window is shown when the Logging-out.
I kindly request guidance to reinstate the original Zorin 6 Log-in/Log-out windows.
TIA

Computer Information:
ZorinOS 6.1 is installed on internal 1tb HDD (multi-boot)
Other Operating Systems installed: WinXP-Pro, LMDE 201204, Kubuntu 12.04.1
Type: Desktop
CPU Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
Architecture: x86_64
Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz × 2
CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
RAM: 3.3GiB

karleman

Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:42:08 pm

Thanks for response.
Is it possible to reinstate the original Log-in/Log-out presentations?

karleman

Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:25:00 am

swarfendor437 wrote:I'm wondering if moving and resizing may have caused the issue,

I am sure this was the cause as this wasn't an issue prior moving/resizing.

swarfendor437 wrote:especially if the Partition Table registered with GRUB has anything to do with it - i.e., this is just supposition, not concrete evidence - but when you installed Zorin the mbr partition table will have been updated and so it will not find '/' in its original location. You could try:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Done, all okay.

swarfendor437 wrote:followed by:

Code:
sudo apt-get update grub

This didn't work...
E: The update command takes no arguments

swarfendor437 wrote:If you still get the same errors:
Be sure you are connected to internet and choose to Boot Zorin in safe graphics/recovery mode - usually 2nd item in Zorin GRUB menu, and once there select 'dpkg' to check for the possibility of broken packages and their repair.

Followed and implemented your instructions but the issue remains.

You know, since the distro is working more than satisfactory I really can live without having the original "ZorinOS" log-in/log-our screens showing. And just wait until a new version (or major upgrade) is available or alternatively may reinstall ZorinOS. Cheers...