This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Trouble creating a new directory

coolcuban101

Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:08:09 pm

So while trying to acquire a game emulator for my new zorin os I read that I have to make a directory for where the zipped files go after I download and extract them, but when I tried to create a new directory using terminal it told me that it could not create one because I did not have permission. So I dug a little deeper and found some settings that could be the issue, but underneath them it said that I am not the owner and therefore cannot change the settings. I am the owner and I was on the only account that was created on the computer. So does anyone know where I can go to make myself the owner or change the settings?

coolcuban101

Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:47:51 pm

Thank you for that. It did work for making a directory but after I had tried moving a file into the new folder and it said permission denied. Is there a setting where I can grant myself all permissions so that I don't have to keep going through this?

madvinegar

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:19:57 pm

In terminal type
Code:
gksudo nautilus

Give your password.
Nautilus will open with administrative rights and you can do whatever you like (copy/paste/move/delete). Just be careful not to delete/move any important system file.

coolcuban101

Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:31:36 pm

Thank you guys very much for all your help. There are still some issues with me trying to move files into the new directory I maid, but I found an easier way to do what I originally wanted to do. Although I am curious as to what the commands are, and what options typing the select all code into terminal give you.

Anonymous

Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:50:18 am

This is another easy way to manually move around your system and do most anything as root. I myself prefer to use this method, because your seeing while doing. It's a good learning experience for someone whom is new to Linux.. Just go to Ubuntu-Tweak>>Admins>>Scripts and drag the ( Browse as Root ) over to the next column. And while your at it, drag the ( Move To/Copy To ) over also. I even took some screenshots for ya to help out. When on the main desktop right click the mouse, then scroll over to>>browse as root>>then left click to open up the next window. Once that windows opens up, your the person in charge, and you can add/delete/move what ever you want with in reason. Watch what your doing, and not make the ultimate mistake and delete the wrong thing. Remember you only have root access when that new window opens up. That's when you can do your thing. This is probably the handiest thing to have around with a click of the mouse. And the sad thing about it, is half the people who use Ubuntu-Tweak, have know clue this tool/feature even exist!!!

madvinegar

Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:32:11 am

coolcuban101 wrote:. Although I am curious as to what the commands are, and what options typing the select all code into terminal give you.

You must not copy the "select all" into the terminal!