This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Broadcomm Wifi Driver issue

GrodyMaroon

Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:30:24 pm

Hello all,

I am definitely a newbie to the Linux experience, and I am trying to sort my way through this and learn what I can.

I installed the Educational version of Zorin OS 6 last week onto a USB Stick with unetbootin. I have absolutely loved playing with this, and am definitely going to make the switch from my old Windows Vista. However, I have been unable to get it to connect to my wifi network due to missing firmware.

It seems this is a common issue, and I have tried several things to remedy it. This is what I've tried so far. Mind you I keep having to go back and forth between the two OS's and I might not remember all of this correctly. I'll try my best.

First I went to system tools, and opened additional drivers. It showed no additional drivers at all.

Second. I followed the directions in this youtube video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9PJYIfEpSw, and I was able to download the B43 drivers. However, I couldn't get them copied into the firmware folder, because it said I didn't have administrative rights.

Third, I followed the directions on this page here at the forum, viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1995, but I couldn't type in the commands. When I type in Code: Select All, it tells me that it doesn't recognize the command. Obviously I am an idiot with the terminal, and I have no idea what I'm doing.

Fourth, I did a full install onto my hard drive next to vista even though I didn't have internet access; and I'm pretty much back where I started. I tried everything over again with the installed version, and didn't have any better luck.

So, I do have the B43 drivers, I think, but I don't know what to do with them.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Thanks.

madvinegar

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:16:09 pm

Hi. i am not so sure that you need the b43 drivers, otherwise you should be seen a recommended additional driver at "additional drivers".
Boot to zorin, open terminal and please post back the results of the following commands to see what your wireless card is.
Code:
lspci -nn
lsusb
sudo lshw -c network
sudo rfkill list all

Note: To open terminal press ctrl+Alt+T. If you will be asked for your password type it normally even if you don't see it typed (it's normal due to security reasons).

Auldyin

Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:03:06 pm

Hi GrodyMaroon

""When I type in Code: Select All, it tells me that it doesn't recognize the command. Obviously I am an idiot with the terminal, and I have no idea what I'm doing.""

Yes you are, don't type Code: Select All but everything after.

Cheers Auldyin

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

GrodyMaroon

Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:23:21 pm

Since this was my first post I had a short waiting period for approval. During that time I found this post,
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3826&p=18082&hilit=b43#p18082.

I followed that for the Vista instructions, and it worked perfectly. Thanks for the assistance.

@ Auldyin

Yeah, I already figured that out... Don't rub it in. :oops:

madvinegar

Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:37:06 am

Ok great! So I helped you via another post... :lol: :lol: :lol: