This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Upgrade to 6.1 without reformat HD

Zoro1044

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:04:04 pm

[SOLVED]
Hi I have a 500 GB HD single partition using Zorin 5.2 with 120 GB free and want to upgrade to 6.1 after using it on my laptop. I can't backup all my files easily. Can I set a partition of 30 GB and install 6.1 before removing 5.2 without loss of files etc.

Zoro1044

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:41:06 pm

Season's Greetings to one and all. Thanks for your quick reply.
Firstly , 5.2 is installed on my desktop main machine and the laptop is about 5 years old with 6.1 which I am impressed with. I installed 5.2 on a clean HD when it was issued using a USB stick letting Zorin set up and install. I know Z6.0 can be upgraded to 6.1 but not sure if Z5.2 can be.

Zoro1044

Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:34:50 pm

Hi Swarfender, I took your advice and copied everything I wanted onto a USB drive and took the plunge. I partitioned into 3 using 30GB for /root, 3GB for swap and the rest 460 GB. Install went fine but found Z6.1 a bit buggy and required a lot of tweaks for Conky using same setup as 5.2, whiteout on 2 or more pages cured from adjusting compiz. File system not allowing drag and drop folders into side panel. I got around this by making folder in Home and then opening folder and making it a bookmark. I hope this helps others and thanks.