This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Can Zorin process software bought/run on Windows XP 32 bit?

shoolaroon

Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:16:45 am

Hello - I'm reaching the limits of my current laptop running Windows XP and have been considering a new machine - I thought I might be able to tolerate the switch to Windows 7 but NOT to Windows 8. There's a limit to everything. So I'm wondering above moving to Zorin. I don\'t know much about (Li)unix OS and I'm wondering if my software - astrology programs, etc - that were bought for and run on Windows XP in a 32 bit system will run on Zorin, or if I can anticipate problems or general incompatibility? I can't leave my software behind.....I also have a lot of nice little speciality softwares from various sources, so it's a big concern for me in switching. Thanks!

madvinegar

Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:05:15 am

Hi. You have 4 choices.

1. Dual boot. You can install zorin in paralel with winXP, so you can use Zorin most of the time, and boot to winXP only when needed.

2. Virtual Box. If your PC/laptop has enough ram and a decent processor and the programs/software you need are not very heavy, then you can install zorin, and then install WinXP within Zorin via virtual box.

3. Find alternative native Linux software to substitute the ones you are using in WinXP. Linux have a huge software list through which you can find any type of software you wish.

4. Try to install and run your winXP programs using WINE.