This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Seeking clarification on Software

Scenesofoz

Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:22:24 am

Hello all. I am a totally fed up Windows user by default and I am very seriously considering changing OS platforms. The deciding factor will be whether Lightroom will run and function in Zorin 6. As a professional photographer I have been using Lightrrom to catalogue and store for a considerable time and having near 100,000 images catalogued, I am now stuck with using it. Can someone please offer a definitive answer as to whether Lightroom will run in this OS or not.

Thank you in advance

Scenesofoz

Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:46:47 am

Thank you, I will check the link out.

insanidee

Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:18:18 am

Happy New Year!

I've ran Lightroom through Wine, but not well. It is very, very buggy. However - and this is important - mine is not registered through Adobe (if you understand), and that does change things from what I've read. I saw somewhere that Adobe programs do work, and if memory serves correctly, LR ran correctly for me at first. Also, I think I screwed up and updated too many things b/c Zorin isn't listed as my os in my system settings - it shows Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. [I think I am going to install Zorin 6 Core over my / partition to revert it back. I've been putting it off b/c, though I have a separate /home partition, I don't know what programs and customizations will need to be re-setup. Guess I'll find that out...unless anyone would like to enlighten me?]

I use Gimp primarily and haven't found another photo program that I just looooove yet outside of Gimp and LR. Many people like DigiKam as a comparable program for cataloging photos. Given that, be aware that I'm still a total newb. Well, I feel like a total newb. I've been running Zorin for idk...maybe 6 months or so. Switching from Windows to Linux is a process. A long, on-going, constantly changing process - as it always is w/technology. It seems that the more familiar you are with Windows, the bumpier the conversion is.

I know that's not very definitive, but I'll let you know how it turns out once I re-install. In the meantime, you should totally get your feet wet and start the process. Consider dual boot w/Windows so you can keep LR access...? Couldn't hurt.

Regards,
Insanidee