This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[MOVED] Complete Linux novice would like some advice please

PeterwJames

Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:04:20 pm

Hi I am completely new to Linux but familiar with Windows (Which seems to be more of a hinderance with Linux so far) But I like the try before you buy attitude that comes with Linux and this is why I want to give it a try.

A little bit about myself, I run a smallish security installer company, we install intruder, access control, CCTV, and Fire alarm systems. We build our own CCTV Digital Video Recorders (DVR) using a windows embedded program. This program also has a client program (Also Windows) that our customers can use to remotely view live and and archived recordings. We also have a 24 hr control room our CCTV reports alarms to via input/outputs to client windows machines from our DVRs.

I am aware that there are quite a few Linux based systems that can do all of the above already, but we want to stick with our software develop it to work with Linux rather than change software.
So we want to have a look at what we can do with Linux and after reading up on the net I decided that Zorin would be the easiest place to put my toe in the water. So far so good I installed Zorin on a HP Proliant server that I have recently purchased, I then installed my Client software and after a few tweaks to the display settings it worked! to a fashion, not quite perfect but much better than I expected. I was surprised how easy it was to tweak for a complete novice to Linux.

Now to the point of my post the DVR Server software is not much different from the Client, I am wondering if it would work with Zorin and if it does is there any value in using Zorin instead of WXPPro embedded to build our machines, or am I just making more work for myself? Both Client and Server software will require quite a bit more tweaking by someone that is far more familiar with Linux and Wine than I am (Which I would be happy to pay for assuming that there is value in it)

The clients on Zorin we would use in the control rooms, and the Servers we would need to embed, so that end users will only see our software, our engineers currently have a back door into windows so they can set up port forwarding, input outputs ect.

Currently we are paying about £50 per license for our XP machines, and we sell maximum 2 or 3 systems per month,some months none at all, so I could I save a little excluding donations to Zorin, and paying someone for development? Or am I completely barking mad? .

On a different quest I also have a few questions about using Zorin personally

1. Can I share drives on my Zonin machine with my windows network? If so how?,
2. Is there a way to remote desktop Zorin? I tried Teamviewer but it seems very slooow over Lan so god knows what it would be like over www
3. Can Zorin be used as a Media server for my TV using Boxee or whatever the Linux software is called?

Sorry for the big post, and thanks in advance for the help

Peter

PeterwJames

Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:17:41 pm

Hi Swarfendor
Thanks for the warm welcome, the Vserver program I refer to is not really a server we call it a server because we need to have a name to distinguish it from the client software.
Since my op I have tried a couple of other linux distributions, I am looking for a media server that will work with my smart tv windows pc and xtreamer. I have been struggling with Ubuntu I have used windows home server 2003 and thought that was difficult but compared to the hardcore Ubuntu Server its a breeze. I have been struggling to get Putty and VNCserver working for the last hour with no joy. I am aware that XP is soon to pull the plug mind you they said that some time back and didnt, our software works with windows 7 & 8 but we are sticking with XP because the lic is cheaper at the moment.
Re sharing I have set up the drives as fat 32 but cant see them on my network, I can download from the net on my Zorin machine but both Ubuntu and Zorin machines (They are the same machine different drives) I cannot see on my Lan I wonder if this is a clue to my problem ?

PeterwJames

Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:01:59 pm

Just to add I can ping both machines over the lan but cant connect by any other means

PeterwJames

Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:32:32 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:
PeterwJames wrote:Just to add I can ping both machines over the lan but cant connect by any other means

You may need to install SAMBA if not already present - there could be firewall issues too! For GNU/Linux noobs, Firewall Builder got a good recommend in Linux Format a while back.

I was wondering about Samba after doing a bit of research I can see my windows network on the ubuntu server and open folders etc it just wont work the other direction. Thanks for the links btw