This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

User accounts

Jetlimaster

Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:29:04 pm

Hello nice people. Im have thinking start using zorin 6 on older laptop to play whit for the kids. downloaded the free little edition. was thinking shod be okey .all seam working great .exept 1 function is important for me im have kids..The user account management seam broker ? im created diff users ..thx the great ui...but what ever im do seams login without psw not working.
The secund strange thing is im created 2 admin account 1 for me 1 for mine wife..but when using upgrades from sec admin it still want the 1st admin psw..not a BIG issue just strange ..
Im happy to buy what ever version you recommend guys..what im heard the version free little is build older Ubuntu .even if say 6.1..and the others build around the stable 12.04 +

Im even thinking start recommend at work for kids..( workign in school ) seam user friendliness come long now when it comes linux for newbies..least Zorin doing.

regards to all

Jetlimaster

Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:51:34 am

Thx but that not a solution..i coud easy manage account without loggin in win 7 for mine kids..se no reason at all force a 8 years old to type in psw :=) it is clearly a bug and seam no ones care about..prob as Linux user use to max security but that case you never hade any kids friendly installation. dont be wrong her im love this product..but for test im installed the mint 14 kde,..and the worked all FLAWLESS..so im think im gonna stick whit mint 14..
thx for the effort but seam zorin have little more work to do.spec for users not alone using the comp..

Muzzargh

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:24:51 am

I have 3 accounts, Admin, Mine and my Wife's. The Admin account is the only one with a password. My Wife's and my account have no password but we are set up as Standard users, any changes require me to log in as Admin. The system Automatically logs in to My Wife's account. I'll have to check but I'm sure I just went into the user setup and selected 'Password off' (or something similar). From memory I did have to install Users and Groups manager first though.

From one of Wolfmans many excellent posts:

sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools

and look for Users and Groups in the main menu.

I found some pictures:

Here you can select Change (beside Password) and set to None

J0hXo.png

...and here is where you can set an account to automatically log on.

PIQ5r.png

It may not be best practice and it may be a security risk, but it works for me.

(Sorry if this is not 100% accurate but I doing this from memory because I'm at work :mrgreen: )