This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Midori installation is broken and Browser Manager sux

dandv

Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:48:28 am

What exactly is the Zorin Web Browser Manager supposed to do besides (un)installing browsers, which could be as easily done through Software Center, and with more options (say, SeaMonkey or IceWeasel).

Anyway, I launched it, and saw that Midori wasn't installed. Yeah, right. If you run `midori` from the terminal, it will start Midori (!).

However, Midori's config is broken. Wherever I try to surf, I get this error:

The page '<URL>' couldn't be loaded.

Cannot resolve proxy hostname ()

So I "officially" installed Midori from the Zorin Web Browser Manager. Surprisingly, this did not create an icon in the GnoMenu - again, what's the point of this "Web Browser Manager"? Anyway, Midori still suffered from the same problem.

Deacon

Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:03:33 am

dandv wrote:So I "officially" installed Midori from the Zorin Web Browser Manager. Surprisingly, this did not create an icon in the GnoMenu - again, what's the point of this "Web Browser Manager"? Anyway, Midori still suffered from the same problem.

I did my install a week ago and just ran the Browser Manager after reading this post. It installed Midori with no problem and an item (as well as a second one for private browsing) appeared in the GnoMenu under "Internet".

Read below as well, in terms of not resolving proxy hostname:

http://ubuntuguide.net/ubuntu-tip-12-04 ... me-problem

The error appears if "proxy method" is not set to "none" in System Tools -- System Settings -- Network-- Network Proxy

dandv

Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:56:17 am

I did check the integrity of the installation medium (USB stick) from the boot menu.

I'll try setting the system proxy method to non next time I boot Zorin (I'm giving Ubuntu a try now, but it's much slower on my laptop without a dedicated graphics card).