This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Display issue in Windows 7 Mode

Deacon

Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:23:07 am

My turn for a question!

While experimenting with something, my beloved "Win7" mode's GnoMenu "disappeared" (I put that in quotes because I realize now what's happening is that most of it is appearing offscreen except a corner of it.) I switched into "WinXP" look with look-changer (Alt-F2 is a great friend) and that's fine, so my guess is a setting got changed. Anyone have any idea how to bring the menu back? It's a 1024x576 Netbook screen (HP Mini 110). I'd mess with AWN but I fear I may make it worse.

Deacon

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:02:24 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Hi Deacon, (was going to respond after I tried your instructions on getting rid of guest session - managed to get rid of Zorin! Can't modify graphics as boots in low graphics mode - first time I have experienced this so won't be trying to remove guest session in future!)

Right, firstly, try increasing the screen resolution - if not possible, right-click the AWN bar and change its size in pixels - can't remember where (yoiu know why I can't search for this!)

My word! That shouldn't have happened. Can you restore the guest session by removing the extra line in the file? I did that, because I don't know if it's supposed to work without a guest session.

I tried reducing the screen resolution; I'll try increasing it.

Edit: Is it because you can't see the AWN? The weird irony is that this started because I installed Midori, then my computer went loco.

Really, really sorry!

Deacon

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:49:35 pm

One question-- was this on the Zorin Lite machine? Is it possible this may have something to do with Ubuntu?

Deacon

Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:38:23 am

swarfendor437 wrote:My Zorin Lite box is now Bodhi Linux as 6.1 Lite was melting the notebook! No the issue was on my main (new) Phenom rig - was not sure whether to run that command whilst editor was open - closed and saved then I ran the command you are supposed to do to 'restart' it got a load of lines (no desktop) and freeze. Rebooted to be greeted with graphics issue running in low graphics mode - clicked ok then a new box in middle of screen saying continue, fix this issue and two other options but none would interact with keyboard - nor space bar for the ok and cancel buttons - think I will live with guest session - I usually turn off desktop sharing anyway so no chance of that being screwed! Decided to try 64-bit ultimate #one more time#!

I sense I too will soon be reinstalling. I miss the look too much, and I can't build it from scratch.