This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Desktop Menu

Mr.Michael

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:16:41 pm

Hello

I ran into some trouble with a computer running ZorinOS 6.0. The fact is that the desktop menu's won't load. When i start the computer it follows regularly untill the point of when it enters the desktop. When the menu's are supposed to be there, they simply aren't. A little later a screen occurs with authentification of password, but it is not bringing the menu back. I get some regular messages when turning wireless on/off, and the same with the touchpad section, that is a part of the HP machine i have it installed at. Is there a clear solution to this, or should i reinstall the whole system once again?

Sincerely

Mr.Michael

Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:55:36 pm

I did the dpkg update and it showed a 80kb update, i have not succeeded in changing the source directories. The terminal by 'Ctrl+ Alt+ T'-method didn't bare any fruit neither. :(

The menu shows and dissapears again after a short while.

I think i might try to open it in root, second from last menu, after entering the alternative recovery bit menu.

Mr.Michael

Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:30:12 pm

From having no menu at all i succeded in logging out to the main Ubuntu theme log screen. From there i choose, Zorin Desktop(fallback mode) and the menu's came back. Instead i changed the default skins while having Ubuntu loginscreen set to off, from there i changed the skin to others that were in the bundle and made those the default choice when logging in.

Shifting screens to ffy(terminal-kind-of-root-thing)1-6 is by pressing crtl+alt+Fn(n=1..6). Tried it with +T but failed to succes.

Sincerely thanks for the assistance. :)

Mr.Michael

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:24:11 pm

Sure do!

For anyone with similar menu-has-dissapeared-and-nothing-is clickable, just press Crtl+Alt+Delete and a logout window will appear. This will put you into the default ubuntu login screen.

Greetings and a happy new year! :)

Mr.Michael

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:50:12 pm

Haha thank you very much. Though it is my 60+ dad that once bought a defect Vistaoperating HP Dv6k. He uses it for his school and was working quite well untill a day it randomly relocated some folders. Deleting them. I'd found recover but to be sure it didn't happen again(I've read that it was a common problem for Vista), I've decided to install it on the recommendation of a mathstudent i was working with. It looks like generic windows menu-set-up and was therefore fitted quite well to his image of the graphical side of a computer. Replacing these might just confuse him more than good is :P

Mr.Michael

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:51:00 am

Perhaps you can show me how(og link me to a good tutorial) i make a dedicated videostreaming and dns server? So far i have not succeded in creating one.