This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Drivers, network and applet

vegaredo

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:24:53 pm

Hey.

I'm very new to both linux and zorin OS, and have some questions.
1. When using the network manager and trying to connect to a password protected network. Why does it not prompt me for password?
2. Where can i find the latest drivers so i can implement them into the zorin system. I have a commercial solution and i have some troubles with some pc's network drivers.
3. I'm using cairo dock. Do any of you know if there exist a network applet for this? As easy as the windows icon applet?

Thank you.

madvinegar

Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:23:03 pm

Could you please post the outcome of the following terminal commands? (to open terminal press ctrl+alt+T).
Enter the following commands one by one hitting <enter> after each one. If you will be prompted for your password, type it normally even if you don't see it typed. Then press <enter>. This is done for security reasons.
Then copy/paste the results of the commands here.

Code:
lspci -nn
lsusb
sudo lshw -c network
sudo rfkill list all

@swarf. I suppose you need the command that opens additional drivers? If so, the command is
Code:
jockey-gtk

vegaredo

Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:41:31 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:1. I am surprised it doesn't ask for a password - usually it would indicate an unsecured network!

2. You need to obtain the .inf drivers or for starters run the command that madvinegar knows and I can never remember! If you have the Windows driver disks you can install using Menu | System Tools | Adminstration | Windows Wireless Drivers.

3. For Cairo Dock go to (right-click the dock anywhere) Cairo-Dock | Configure | Add-ons and scroll down and look for 'Notification Area' [NOT 'Notification Area-old'!]

1. Well on some network connections it asks for password, but some not. It's weird.

2. Is there a place i can download the updated drivers for many different wireless cards?

3. Thanks!