This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Keybind Super_L on Japanese Keyboad

Zoringatos

Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:50:07 pm

Hi,
I setup 32bit Zorin OS 6.1 on my notebook PC with a full-size USB keyboard a few days ago. I searched for the information about Super_L to open the main menu by hitting the Windows button. From my one month experience of Lubuntu and Puppy, I took every sort of effort on it and the efforts were in vain now. There is just one clue left for me.

I read this topic.
http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=296&hilit=keybind+super

Then, I copy & paste the code from the site below and run the code on the terminal.
gconftool-2 --set /apps/metacity/global_keybindings/panel_main_menu --type string "Super_L"
http://www.ubuntuka.com/ubuntu-menu-windows-key/

After that, it seems that it has shown up on "Keyboard settings." It was read on "System" section in the fourth line, "Display Activities," in Japanese. Of course, nothing happens when I hit the Windows key.
Screenshot-1.png

When I hit the Windows key on the entry, "Super_L" became "Mod2+Super_L"
Screenshot-2.png

The code looks good but something would be missing. Could anyone tell me what should I do? Thank you in advance.

Zoringatos

Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:55:54 am

Thank you, swarfendor437.

It's great! I appreciate your effort done for newcomers.
I just hoped that there might be a simple solution for Japanese Linux newbies. But it looks too complicated for a newbie/people who is foreign to English. Zorin OS looked better than other distributions. I think it's essential to open the Main menu by Windows button for long term MS Windows users.

I personally am get used to LXDE and prefer lxpanel to AWN as a Lubuntu user. These are screenshots of LXDE desktop on Zorin. I learned that it’s good to put an application launcher on the left-side of the wide screen display.
Screenshot-LXDE.jpg

Screenshot-LXDE2.jpg

Thank you again,
I hope Zorin team will fix it as soon as possible.
If done, I’ll recommend Zorin to all people on the Earth!

Zoringatos

Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:10:17 am

Thank you,

I watched the video. It was excellent.
I was a little bit surprised by your PC's wallpaper because it was similar to mine, by the way. :)

I heard that Zorin 6 Lite is from Lubuntu 12.10. So, lubunturc.xml or something will works.
For Zorin 6 with LXDE, /home/USER NAME/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml (or might be rc.xml) works fine. ;)

<keyboard><chainQuitKey>C-g</chainQuitKey><!-- Keybindings for desktop switching -->
<keybind key="Super_L"><action name="Execute"><command>lxpanelctl menu</command></action></keybind>
<keybind key="Super_R"><action name="Execute"><command>lxpanelctl menu</command></action></keybind>

But there is one problem here. See the longest menu items ever! :o
* "gnome-control-center" doesn't work well on LXDE. There are a few icons on the System Settings. So, your recommendation will be better if you hate this longest menu. :P
Screenshot-MENU2.jpg

Screenshot-MENU1.jpg