This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

System slowing down for no reason

genexxa27

Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:07:22 am

Hi there,
I am new to Zorin OS and it works pretty well. Every once in a while it decides to bog right now and its like it something in memory is eating up the RAM and not releasing it. I followed the tutorial on being able to change GnoMenu and updated Ubuntu Tweaks. I'm thinking that I changed something I shouldn't.
My system that I'm running is as follows:

Asus P8H61-M LE Motherboard with Intel i5-2300k CPU
8GB Ram / Nvidia G-Force GTX460/PCIe/SSE2
ZorinOSx64 Ultamite

Any ideas on what could be happening would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

madvinegar

Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:58:36 am

When you see that the system slows down, open terminal and post here the result of the command
Code:

genexxa27

Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:33:43 am

Thank you for the quick reply. I did the command top but my computer just locked right up and it wouldn't unlock. I had to do a cold boot.
I had an idea that it could be my graphics card cause i was getting lag in M$ too. So i changed the card and it seems to have worked for that problem.
I went to a AMD Radeon 5450 the other one was just overkill for what i do with my computer. But there was a series of other problems that popped up so i just for mad at it and re-installed the OS. So I'm just going to just going to leave it cause it work. And you know what they say about something that is working lol. But thanks for the advice madvinegar and will keep that in mind if i have similar issues.