This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

ASUS laptop will not boot from DVD

DeakonBluz

Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:46:31 pm

Hello all! I am a LOOOOONG time Windows user that is thoroughly disgusted with Windows 8. I won't go into the reasons why, as there are thousands of articles decrying this huge step backwards (even the guy at ASUS support agreed with me on how bad it is). So a friend showed me around Zorin last night and sent me home with an installation DVD. I am in love!

It boots just perfectly into my desktop, but this new ASUS X55C laptop will not recognize the DVD or boot from it. I went into the settings in Windows 8 to boot from DVD as I was told by support and told it to boot from DVD. It reboots and you can hear the DVD spinning as though it is going to boot from it, but after a few seconds the Win8 screen pops up and Win8 has loaded.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting it to load from DVD? I have searched Google and cannot find anything addressing this problem. Like I said - the disc is fine as my desktop loads it right up on startup. Any help would be appreciated! I would rather try out Linux than go put out big bucks for a MacBook, so please help me out if you can. Thanks in advance.

DeakonBluz

Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:39:25 am

Forgot to mention that the desktop is Windows 7. I even tried reformatting the hard drive and it still would not boot from CD even though I added it as a boot option in the BIOS (or EFUI or whatever its called now). So now I am recovering back into Win8 and will just use it until someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks.

madvinegar

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:22:46 am

Have you tried booting from USB?

Anonymous

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:08:26 am

From recent experience/results >>> At the present time it's not a good practice to dual boot Windows 8 and Zorin OS or any other GNU/Linux brand. >>>>Avoid the headaches before they happen.<<<<
In future updates there might be a possibility. :)
I personally found 28 reasons not to attempt any such action.
Your ASUS Notebook can run a install DVD/CD as soon as the system is booted up by constantly pressing >> F8 <<.

Before Ateempting !!!
Make sure the system is completely shutdown by pressing the off/on button until succeeded.

OR

The best Method >>> In your case>> Notebook >>Simply pull the battery out and unplug power adapter , then put the battery back in and plug back in the power adapter to the wall.

>> Reason for this to make sure it's not in ( Hyper Sleep Stanby)

Note : If the (Optical Drive) on the (Newer ASUS Machines) are the least little dusty, it will not read the DVD/CD.