This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Huge initrd.img size

kenn

Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:45:27 pm

I installed Zorin OS 5.2 64 bit. I like it much. I have slow boot time and I don't know it's related but I have huge initrd.img size, it's 100 mb. I searched for it and found out that people have around 15 mb initrd.img size. I want to know if it's ok or it's one of the cause of my slow boot time.
Thanks.

kenn

Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:02:46 am

Wow, very nice links! I ll check them out. By the way I forgot to write in the above post I already tried that most to deb switch, it only reduced 3 mb of space. Would you tell me size of your initrd.img?
Thank you swarfendor437

kenn

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:11:49 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:
kenn wrote:Wow, very nice links! I ll check them out. By the way I forgot to write in the above post I already tried that most to deb switch, it only reduced 3 mb of space. Would you tell me size of your initrd.img?
Thank you swarfendor437

I'd be happy to ... if I was able! :D

subliminal message? It's in /boot folder

kenn

Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:04:56 pm

warfendor437 many thanks, I have an idea about it at last. I don't know why it's so huge in my case.

kenn

Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:00:09 am

I found the culprit at last, it's plymouth folder in initrd.img in /lib/plymouth, it's 111mb in extracted file, total is 165mb.
# mkdir temp ; cd temp
# cp /boot/initrd.img.gz .
# gunzip initrd.img.gz
you should add gz suffix if initrd.img doesn't have
# mkdir temp
# cd temp
# cpio -i -d -H newc -F ../initrd.img --no-absolute-filenames
it extracts archive content

kenn

Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:04:29 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Hi kenn, thanks for the heads up on this - may need to add it to the help guide pdf (at some point!)

my pleasure! After I removed all unused plymouth themes through synaptic, initrd.img reduced to 30mb. But it didn't improve boot time, it takes 4 minutes to boot up completely