This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Instalation went bad, Please help!!!

Ryu78

Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:58:12 am

I have a few computers for different projects, I downloaded and fully installed Zorin 6 OS via disk on my dell desktop inspiron 3150 and it will only load after I boot it into a safe mode. If I normal boot it it will go to the blue striped screen and freeze, the mouse is the only thing that will work then and there are no icons on desktop either. From what it looks like is that the display options are only responding as if it were a laptop and the graphics are only partially working because the screen goes crazy or blank and everything is messed up and huge; also in the options for display there are none except for laptop display because that is what it shows that I have which is totally wrong. But for now all I want to do is get it to boot right normally. I feel I can fix the rest if I can get that accomplished. Any and all help welcome, please and thank you.

Anonymous

Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:07:03 am

First thing to do is check your connections. >>>VGA<<< DVI >>> HDMI <<<
I know it will work on your type of machine, as that is one of the brands we do testing with.
I'll mess around with the same machine to see what we on my end can find.
Madvinegar or Swarfendor will soon see this and they might know of a solution.
Be patient !!! :) :) :)

Ryu78

Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:22:16 am

I have checked the connections many times and they are all good, I even did a display diagnostic test on the monitor and that turned out okay too. I'm thinking it's a driver issue or something similar.

Anonymous

Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:27:40 am

If you have Dual Display setup>>unplug second monitor<< until solved=issue.
Reason have had paople with similar problems, but never mentioned what they had for a setup til I asked them.
i'm just mentioning this just in case ! :) Leave a description in detail of your computer.
Easier for everyone to help troubleshoot.

If your using Zorin OS Core >>Check<<

Ryu78

Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:31:16 am

datek1 wrote:If your using Zorin OS Core >>Check<<

Yes, I'm using the 32bit core. The display is a single dell vga monitor, pentium 4 2.4ghz processor, 1gb of ram, nvindia geforce 6150le display adapters, which Zorin reads as vesa:brookdale-g graphics?

Anonymous

Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:39:12 am

Ryu78 wrote:

Yes, I'm using the 32bit core.

Match the MDSsums from the numbers of the 32-bit Core from above to the one that is attached to your install disk.
I'm under the weather and in know real shape to help out in detail.
I'll check on ya in the morning from here when I feel a little better.
One of the others will be around later to help.

Anonymous

Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:57:14 am

Ryu78 wrote:

Yes, I'm using the 32bit core. The display is a single dell vga monitor, pentium 4 2.4ghz processor, 1gb of ram, nvindia geforce 6150le display adapters, which Zorin reads as vesa:brookdale-g graphics?

What fresh oxygen that is flowing througn my head. Have major headache !!!
A light keeps going off in my head about an install disk gone bad !
It has happened to hundreds of people.
The older Dells read DVD's better when the disk are read at slow speed.
That's means that is is best to burn a DVD install disk at 4x or 8x no higher.

Simply a bad Zorin OS install disk.
Windows is the best thing to use for making DVD/Install Disks
That's if you have at one your disposal.

Ryu78

Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:08:33 am

I burnt the discs at the slowest setting that it would go to and that was 4x's on 2 different discs because I thought the same thing about the way discs were read, and I'm sorry you not felling well and hope you take the time you need to recoop. I know how it feels.

I'm through for the night ! :)
And to just let you know just in case look here :>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3487
It might sound crazy but there is more than one download link. >>Above Link<<
It has happened , I'm mentioning this just in case.
Try another download link, if you haven't already.

Ryu78

Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:18:24 am

Ryu78 wrote:I burnt the discs at the slowest setting that it would go to and that was 4x's on 2 different discs because I thought the same thing about the way discs were read, and I'm sorry you not felling well and hope you take the time you need to recoop. I know how it feels.

I'm through for the night ! :)
And to just let you know just in case look here :>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3487
It might sound crazy but there is more than one download link. >>Above Link<<
It has happened , I'm mentioning this just in case.
Try another download link, if you haven't already.

Thank you very much for you help and time, and good day to you, and get well soon.

Anonymous

Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:36:35 am

This is something to keep in mind. Now what NVIDIA has done since this other post, don't have a clue !!! :?:

Take a look see : >> http://askubuntu.com/questions/161363/w ... ce-6150-le

Ryu78

Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:20:26 am

What I figured out is that it is my video driver and I need to find one that is compatible, is there a 3200 series that might work?

Anonymous

Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:39:24 am

Ryu78 wrote:What I figured out is that it is my video driver and I need to find one that is compatible, is there a 3200 series that might work?

Take a look here, the thread is from July 2012 : http://askubuntu.com/questions/126905/n ... d-hardware

And if you can install the 173 Driver Nvidia ver. from software center that won't hurt to try in the mean time.
Here's a Screenshot of :

Ryu78

Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:52:11 am

I know it's my video driver but I can't find one that will work, I have tried about 6 different ones so far...I have the driver you suggested and now what? I can't install it when in safe mode because it won't let me activate it as a program or anything to install it from it's properties

Ryu78

Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:32:23 pm

I can't find the right video driver, and when I try to install a windows one it will instyall then say that it's not compatible, when I try one for linux it wont even let me install it.....SO, I decided to try my luck on another computer booting from disc, and it's giving me the error of; EDD: Error 8000 reading sector 975824 vesamenu.c32: not a COM32R image. I used the same disc on the first computer with no problems... any ideas?

Ryu78

Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:57:46 pm

Nvidia GeForce 6150 LE, when I seen the info after I installed Zorin it said that the graphics were Vera: BrookDale-G Graphics? This is what my screen looks like...

Anonymous

Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:35:02 pm

This directly comes from Ubuntu Help Forum >>> For Swarfendor
Reference to show they do have a Nvidia Driver / PPA for the card.
I copied this off of their page !!! :) :) :)
Install NVIDIA GeForce driver in Ubuntu 12.10 / 12.04 using PPA

Install the latest NVIDIA GeForce graphics driver (version 304.64) in Ubuntu 12.10 / 12.04 / 11.10 / 11.04 / 10.04 using PPA. This PPA doesn’t support Ubuntu 10.10. This PPA is from Ubuntu-X team and xorg crack pushers team which updates unsupported packages for your system.

To add PPA for Ubuntu 12.04 / 11.10 / 11.04 / 10.04

: sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates

After adding the PPA, update your system repository.
To Update

: sudo apt-get update

Now install the NVIDIA GeForce graphics driver 304.51 in your system, as you install other packages by using apt-get.
To Install

: sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings

Above command will install the driver.

OCTOBER 2012

Works with >>> GeForce 6 series:

6800 XT, 6800 XE, 6800 Ultra, 6800 LE, 6800 GT, 6800 GS, 6800, 6700 XL, 6610 XL, 6600 VE, 6600 LE, 6600 GT, 6600, 6500, 6250, 6200 TurboCache, 6200SE TurboCache, 6200 LE, 6200 A-LE, 6200, 6150SE nForce 430, 6150 LE, 6150, 6100 nForce 420, 6100 nForce 405, 6100 nForce 400, 6100

Ryu78

Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:57:08 pm

After I typed sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates, the response was

Ryu78

Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:13:01 pm

it worked after a few times, I just updated it, and now for the NVIDIA GeForce graphics driver 304.51 driver

Ryu78

Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:19:09 pm

well I'm at a loss again......

This can be fixed later with Swarfendors help.>>>That's an error from Opera Web Browser/Updates.

The Question = Is the graphics ok now?

Anonymous

Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:54:16 pm

Ryu78 wrote:well I'm at a loss again......

This can be fixed later with Swarfendors help.>>>That's an error from Opera Web Browser/Updates.

The Question = Is the graphics ok now?

Let someone know if your good to go !!!! :D

Ryu78

Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:04:21 pm

I installed it but... Houston we have a problem...everything is upside down and backwords!!!!!
I just restarted the PC and it seems okay in safe mode now to check booting up normally.

Anonymous

Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:19:48 pm

Ryu78 wrote:I installed it but... Houston we have a problem...everything is upside down and backwords!!!!!

Well go to System Settings >> Display >>>Rotate

Ryu78

Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:25:03 pm

The graphics are better but there are still issues, and the applet keeps crashing, and it won't restart by clicking it....

Anonymous

Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:39:50 pm

Ryu78 wrote:The graphics are better but there are still issues, and the applet keeps crashing, and it won't restart by clicking it....

Got to head too the Doctor. Swarfendor can help ya with that when he gets a chance. Look at what works and what doesn't on your Desktop.
Leave a real good description as to what is going on in detail and>>maybe screenshots<<, that way he can see what you see.
Get my drift !!! :) Later on :)

Ryu78

Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:41:41 pm

This is what I'm talking about, and the graphics are still bugging out but not as bad as before

Ryu78

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:30:55 pm

looks like I'm going back to square 1. The graphics started working okay, I was prompted with updates and that's when the OS decided that it was no longer going to load except in safe mode and it's still a mess in that mode.

Ryu78

Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:44:46 pm

I failed to note them. When I logged in, a minute later a box popped up showing that I had a lot of updates. From what I saw at first it was for security and program updates. I'm just now reinstalling the edjucational and gaming Zorin OS.
My video driver from my pc is somehow gone, so I have to manually instal one. The issue with the applet; leaves me clueless, Yes, I have tried clicking it over and over and over and still nothing.

How do I edit the xconfiguration file (run nvidia-xconfig as root)???

Ryu78

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:31:44 pm

I re-installed after 6 tries the first one being that there was an internal error....
so far I have added the PPA and updated then updated the nvidia graphics though I am still getting graphic issues, there is a black bar across the bottom of the screen just above the docking bar almost the same hight as the docking bar. When I open the Gnomenu there is a black outline around it. So far this is what I found that is in need of a fix.

Ryu78

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:42:17 am

Okay, I guess you can call this solved. Though there are no problems now except 1 when I try to change the look to win 7 or win xp. That is when I get some graphical issues like a black bar at the bottom of the screen that is as long and high as the docking bar. I have also fully updated and did some house keeping.

I thank you all for your help and knowledge on fixing these problems.

Anonymous

Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:02:28 am

Ryu78 wrote:Okay, I guess you can call this solved. Though there are no problems now except 1 when I try to change the look to win 7 or win xp. That is when I get some graphical issues like a black bar at the bottom of the screen that is as long and high as the docking bar. I have also fully updated and did some house keeping.

I thank you all for your help and knowledge on fixing these problems.
When changing to and from!
Answer : Log-out >> Then >>Log-In >>>>> :D

Ryu78

Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:09:22 pm

I did restart my computer but I still get the glitch when changing the look, the only time I don't get it is when it's set on Gnome2. I also found out that it's not letting me upload a screenshot to show you.....