This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

undo video update

danneauxs

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:19:26 pm

Ok, I don't know why I did it but I updated my video driver and now I'm in trouble.

When the computer boots the zorin boot screen comes up then the screen goes black. If I drag the mouse around I can find the logon box and type my password. I can even manage to select fallback sometimes (can't always get the screen to draw). Some of the time the screen will just stay black but others it will show the desktop but drop down menus will be colored snow and unresponsive once the drop down.

I booted to recover mode and tried failsafe graphics but that just errored out.

Is there any way I can boot to prompt and restore the driver?

I'm not sure what information to give to help get an answer.

TIA
Danneauxs

System
compaq presario 6000

Muzzargh

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:08:33 am

Would booting from a DVD allow you to delete the driver files on your HDD?

danneauxs

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:27:49 pm

Sure. I booted to a live version of zorin.

I just don't know what to delete. If you can tell me what to delete to force it to go back to whatever the default driver is that might just do it.

Thanks for the reply.
Danneauxs

danneauxs

Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:43:25 am

@swarfendor437

Tried all; partially worked. At least it didn't freeze up on a black screen but when the desktop loaded only parts were drawn. Desktop icons only appear if you move the mouse over where they are supposed to be, menus only partially show up.

I tried booting to root recovery mode and running
sudo rmmod nvidia which I assumed worked since I got no error message unless I ran it again which gave something like that module isn't installed in the kernel (or some such ).
Editing the etc/X11/xorg.conf didn't have a Driver section so I don't know which driver it's loading.
I saw a post that suggested moving the xorg.conf file to force linux to repair itself but in recovery mode the fs is read only it seems. I tried editing the xorg.conf file but I can't save it since I get a read-only error message when trying to save.

Thanks for the advice. It might be easier to just reinstall. This pc was mainly for secure internet use; not every day use. I got my documents copied and my thunderbird folder copied to a usb so maybe it's time to format and try again.

Danneauxs