This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Logitech C500 Webcam & Skype 4.1.0.20

Muzzargh

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:22:24 am

Hi,

I've posted in this thread but didn't want to hijack it so started a new one.

http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4051&p=19060#p19060

Basically I've been having issues with Skype crashing and have narrowed it down to the webcam. If I Skype without the webcam the call goes along fine, if I start the video the picture gets progressively worse then freezes and I have to re-connect. I have a Logitech C500 webcam which is not compatible with Linux according to the Logitech site however the Ubuntu site says that it is.

The webcam works fine with Cheese and Guvcview.

Any ideas? :?

madvinegar

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:50:16 am

Try this.
Open terminal and write
Code:
sudo gedit /usr/share/applications/skype_webcam.desktop

In the file that will open, copy/paste the following inside
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Skype_webcam
Comment=Skype Internet Telephony
Exec=bash -c 'LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype'
Icon=skype.png
Terminal=0
Type=Application
Encoding=UTF-8
Categories=Network;Application;

Save it and exit.

Now try to find the new application we have created with the name "Skype_webcam". It will probably be in the internet programs or on your desktop.
Double click it to launch Skype from it, and test it to see if it works ok.

Muzzargh

Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:47:39 pm

Thanks MV, I'll give it a go tonight :-)

Muzzargh

Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:53:29 am

Tried the above, no change, it still freezes after about 10 seconds.

madvinegar

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:38:45 am

Then maybe is a problem with your GPU?
What GPU do you have?

Muzzargh

Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:22:09 pm

VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Turks [Radeon HD 6670] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

madvinegar

Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:01:19 pm

Are you using the open source drivers or the ATI ones? (from additional drivers). Try with both and see if you get better results.

Muzzargh

Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:59:29 pm

When I went to check the Additional Drivers Jockey-gtk crashed so I did some investigation and ran it from the terminal, this is the output:

(jockey-gtk:18360): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-widgets.css:994:22: Not a valid image

(jockey-gtk:18360): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-widgets.css:1001:22: Not a valid image

(jockey-gtk:18360): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: nautilus.css:10:20: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.

(jockey-gtk:18360): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: nautilus.css:18:20: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.

(jockey-gtk:18360): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: nautilus.css:28:20: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.

(jockey-gtk:18360): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: nautilus.css:31:0: 'sideb' is not a valid property name

(jockey-gtk:18360): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_icon_set_render_icon_pixbuf: assertion `icon_set != NULL' failed

(jockey-gtk:18360): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_icon_set_render_icon_pixbuf: assertion `icon_set != NULL' failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/jockey-gtk", line 418, in <module>
sys.exit(u.run())
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/jockey/ui.py", line 468, in run
self.ui_show_main()
File "/usr/bin/jockey-gtk", line 94, in ui_show_main
self.update_tree_model()
File "/usr/bin/jockey-gtk", line 275, in update_tree_model
info = self.get_ui_driver_info(h_id)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/jockey/ui.py", line 295, in get_ui_driver_info
info = self.backend().handler_info(handler_id)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 145, in __call__
**keywords)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 651, in call_blocking
message, timeout)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Python.TypeError: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/service.py", line 751, in _message_cb
_method_reply_return(connection, message, method_name, signature, *retval)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/service.py", line 254, in _method_reply_return
reply.append(signature=signature, *retval)
TypeError: Expected a string or unicode object

Muzzargh

Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:08:54 am

I've done an update and upgrade now as well, still no change...