This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED!) HP 5520 scanning problems

flyboy129

Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:08:14 am

Hello all. I have installed hplip 3.12.11 three different times. The final time, custom and rebooted. Still no love. The printer works beautifully except it refuses to scan. First is a simple scan screenshot. The second attachment is the HP device manager error when prompted to scan. Here is a terminal paste:
derek@flyboy129-System-Product-Name ~ $ sane-find-scanner

# sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
# result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
# scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
# you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [HP], product=0xb111 [Photosmart 5520 series]) at libusb:001:004
# Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by
# SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

# Not checking for parallel port scanners.

# Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
# can't be detected by this program.

# You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
# found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
# necessary.
derek@flyboy129-System-Product-Name ~ $ scanimage -L

No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).

Thank you all.

flyboy129

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:54:21 pm

That link simply led me back to the hplip download page. I already have 3.12.11 installed. The video link didn't work.
Does this look correct? It sets this path as default.

flyboy129

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:41:24 pm

Are you referring to when it asks during terminal installation? I am trying this in mint 13, which is ubuntu 12.04, but it recognizes my distro as mint 13.

flyboy129

Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:09:59 am

I have Zorin 6 also. I just find this forum more helpful. ;) Each time I install hplip I get an error in the terminal about repositories not available or network not available. I am connected to the web, and here are a couple shots of my synaptic setup, and a really interesting pop up from when I scanned to an SD card port in the printer. It knows it is there exept when I try to run simple scan or xsane. Sane is making me insane, haha.

flyboy129

Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:39:16 pm

:D :D :D SUCCESS! Here is the trick. Apparently, the hplip3.12.11 has a folder link issue. Read Question here: https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/217011 This is only apparently problematic for 64 bit systems. Here is a terminal paste:
derek@flyboy129-System-Product-Name ~ $ sudo cp /usr/lib64/sane/libsane-hpaio* /usr/lib/sane
cp: target `/usr/lib/sane' is not a directory
Mine was missing the sane folder under usr/lib, so I had to go make one. Alt+F2 brings up run. Go in as super user by typing 'gksudo nautilus'. Go to: file system /usr/lib. Click file, create new folder. Name folder 'sane'. Run command in terminal again:
derek@flyboy129-System-Product-Name ~ $ sudo cp /usr/lib64/sane/libsane-hpaio* /usr/lib/sane
Then, run:
derek@flyboy129-System-Product-Name ~ $ xsane
TADA!
Screenshot-9.png

Simple scan works as well...
Screenshot-10.png

Feel free to mark as solved. Thanks for the help.
Now, off to bed, for I have pains in my head! :ugeek: