This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] Trouble backing up the GRUB

speedracerdt

Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:57:26 pm

Im not sure if this is a Zorin problem or maybe an error within the Terminal Im atempting to Dual boot with a partion on windows. im running Zorin Ultimate already installed. I want to backup the GRUB before editing the partitions. When i run the command
Code:
sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
It will then ask for my password... but its as though the keybaord is not working after that. so i tried to copy and past the password but the terminal wont take any input... Has anyone else experienced this problem?

speedracerdt

Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:49:45 pm

Something unexpected is happening.... most of the time when i do this it should have a text file open... well the text file opend with no text in it... and this was in theh terminal
Code:
(gedit:11809): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-widgets.css:994:22: Not a valid image

(gedit:11809): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-widgets.css:1001:22: Not a valid image

(gedit:11809): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: nautilus.css:10:20: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.

(gedit:11809): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: nautilus.css:18:20: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.

(gedit:11809): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: nautilus.css:28:20: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.

(gedit:11809): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: nautilus.css:31:0: 'sideb' is not a valid property name

any ideas? im stumped now

or do you think i should be ok to just open GPartiion and add the space to install without backing up?

speedracerdt

Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:18:55 pm

same thing, i dissconnected like you said and it brought up a window, then i minimized that and opend a new terminal and typed in Grub command.... I got the same list of values and when the text editor opends there was still nothing to copy.... not sure why my machines are acting up.

speedracerdt

Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:14:06 am

thats cool. i just went into Gpartition and make 5gs availible to install on. it installed find without the backup. so im good now. nothing crashed thanks for your help though