This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Help with installing software over the Internet

goggz56

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:45:58 am

Ok, so even after scouring the Internet for how to install software through the Internet, I couldn't find anything that helped. ATM I am wanting to install a program called openproj from sourceforge.net on my ZOS Virtual Machine but I can't figure it out. Or is it even possible to download and install software from the Internet?

madvinegar

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:38:28 am

Go here http://sourceforge.net/projects/openpro ... aries/1.4/ and download the openproj_1.4-2.deb file.

Then either double click on it and install it through the software center. Or do it through terminal.
Navigate to the folder you placed the file and then
Code:
sudo dpkg -i openproj_1.4-2.deb

In case you get any dependency errors, run
Code:
sudo apt-get install -f

madvinegar

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:47:48 pm

On the VM guest machine you can only get internet if the "host" has internet. If the host has internet (either wifi or wired), then the guest system is usually automaticaly connected via ethernet with the internal wireless card.
To connect with internet the guest system via wifi, you need a USB dongle (i.e. external wireless card).

goggz56

Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:31:14 am

Actually, MV was right on what I was asking. I'll try it out soon. I got ahead of myself yesterday trying to find out how to do it and ended up somehow deleting EVERYTHING on my box so I ended up having to reinstall it. This was with VMware Player. I now have it installed on Virtualbox and I like it much better. Now I need/want to get everything that I spent a good portion of the day doing back on the machine. Thanks for the help.