This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

shockwave player plugin cant be loaded

nihat

Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:07:18 pm

hey guys,

i am quite new to linux and zorin os is my favorite linux distro.
for some days i have problems with the shockwave player plugin which is built in
in the chrome browser. i cant watch flash web streams. even in ebay auctions
i receive the message that shockwave flash wasnt loaded.

i de-installed the browser using the web browser manager, i re-installed it again
using the same manager. but the problem remained there.

i dont really want to use a different browser. how can i repair the current issue?
i have seen explanations in the internet that there could be issues if on the pc
on which chrome is installed it could happen that the built-in plugin and the
software flash player on the pc can cause problems.

well, i have no flash player installed. only the VLC player.

that problem occured as i tried to install new java versions (1.7) directly from sun.
can that be the problem?

please help me.

Deacon

Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:53:56 pm

nihat wrote:hey guys,

i am quite new to linux and zorin os is my favorite linux distro.
for some days i have problems with the shockwave player plugin which is built in
in the chrome browser. i cant watch flash web streams. even in ebay auctions
i receive the message that shockwave flash wasnt loaded.

i de-installed the browser using the web browser manager, i re-installed it again
using the same manager. but the problem remained there.

i dont really want to use a different browser. how can i repair the current issue?
i have seen explanations in the internet that there could be issues if on the pc
on which chrome is installed it could happen that the built-in plugin and the
software flash player on the pc can cause problems.

well, i have no flash player installed. only the VLC player.

that problem occured as i tried to install new java versions (1.7) directly from sun.
can that be the problem?

please help me.

Actually, it appears to be a bug related to browser operation on the newest version of Chrome on Linux. (see thread on Google forums: http://productforums.google.com/forum/# ... 5-false%5D) Chrome actually installs its own dependencies when it comes to Flash.

First, go to chrome://plugins in the browser and make sure the Flash plugin is always enabled.

If that doesn't make a difference or that doesn't help, open a terminal and enter the following

Code:
rm -r  ~/.config/google-chrome/PepperFlash

Restart Chrome.

As an aside, a new release of Chrome (version 24.0.1312.69) 5 days ago updates this bug, so if you download directly from Google Chrome's website, the version should be updated.

madvinegar

Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:04:38 am

Also, just to be sure, you can give in terminal
Code:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

This will install flash player and various other 3rd party dependencies that might help.
Also you can install the medibuntu repo.
Code:
sudo -E wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list && sudo apt-get --quiet update && sudo apt-get --yes --quiet --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get --quiet update

Finally, next time prefer to install java from the software center. It works just fine.

nihat

Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:02:41 am

i followed the descriptions, but it did not work for me. i cant use chrome or chromium.
at the moment i am forced to use firefox because my chrome does only show me the startpage. i cannot browse to any website.
even not to gmail. the chrome:plugins or chrome:extensions are blank and dont show me anything.

i installed the version directly from google and if i open "help" of the browser it shows me the version 26.0.1397.2 dev
if i open synaptic and look at the version of the installed chrome it shows me 24.0.1312.69-r180721. WTF?? how can this be?
two different versions! i used synaptic to remove all chrome and chromium versions totally and installed it again.

without success. it does not work. i tried to install chromium, but it does not work, too.it loads and loads and loads until it stops.

i still need your help. how can i install the fixed version of chrome?

Deacon

Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:36:32 am

nihat wrote:i followed the descriptions, but it did not work for me. i cant use chrome or chromium.
at the moment i am forced to use firefox because my chrome does only show me the startpage. i cannot browse to any website.
even not to gmail. the chrome:plugins or chrome:extensions are blank and dont show me anything.

i installed the version directly from google and if i open "help" of the browser it shows me the version 26.0.1397.2 dev
if i open synaptic and look at the version of the installed chrome it shows me 24.0.1312.69-r180721. WTF?? how can this be?
two different versions! i used synaptic to remove all chrome and chromium versions totally and installed it again.

without success. it does not work. i tried to install chromium, but it does not work, too.it loads and loads and loads until it stops.

i still need your help. how can i install the fixed version of chrome?

Were I to guess... somehow you've downloaded a development version of Google Chrome.

At this point I would say delete and start fresh. These lines remove 99% of it from the system.

Code:
sudo apt-get purge google-chrome-stable
sudo apt-get purge google-chrome-unstable
rm -rf /home/USERNAME/.config/google-chrome
rm -rf /home/USERNAME/.cache/google-chrome

Where "USERNAME" is your username

Now make sure you only download the stable version on your system.

nihat

Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:25:52 am

:mrgreen: you are a genius :lol:

it works. everything works again. i can browse all sites and flash works, too.
after installing the current stable which i obtained directly from the chrome
download page (google-chrome-stable_current_i386.deb) the version number in chrome is Version 24.0.1312.69

thank you very very much :lol:

Deacon

Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:24:23 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:60 Blue Jewels to Deacon! :D

[Deacon, I have PM'd you - let me know if you don't get it - it appears to be stuck in my Outbox with 6 others!]

Got it and responded.