This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin Performance on an Acer Chromebook

nick11h

Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:01:19 pm

Hi! I haven't posted here in a while, but I'm planning on purchasing a Chromebook. I certainly want to dual boot with Zorin and was wondering how well that would work out performance wise, being that it will largely effect my decision on whether or not to get it.

Acer Chromebook:

Intel Celeron 1.1 GHz, 2MB L3 cache
2GB DDR3
320GB Serial ATA, 5400 RPM Hard Drive
Intel HD Graphics, 128MB dedicated
3 USB 2.0 Ports
Built in LAN 802.11 a/b/g/n
Built in 10/100 Ethernet LAN
4 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Internal Speakers
Chrome OS Preinstalled

Full Details: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Acer+-+11.6 ... ifications

I'm hoping to get an external optical drive, so running the Zorin ISO with a usb drive shouldn't be a problem. Though, I'm not sure if I'll have to do some bios stuff to get it to boot off the cd or how to even get to the bios for that matter.

So how well will Zorin work in an environment with Chrome OS and the system specs? Just to be sure, will I be able to run Minecraft with the low graphical settings, Libre Office, Gimp, Openshot, etc?

Also, do you guys have any opinions on Chrome OS and Chromebooks in general? The one above seems to have betters specifications than most normal netbooks around the price (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00758 ... d_i=507846).

I really like the idea of having something inexpensive to toss into my school bag and bring on trips.

Thanks!

Anonymous

Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:14:47 pm

You can do exactly what Swarfendor has mentioned to you concerning GNU/Linux. But go a different route on a computer>Netbook, since you are in my neck of the woods. Go to TigerDirect.com or Walmart.com and look for a Netbook that is refurbished or new for under 250.00. The reason being a basic Chromebook is junk. You have to put out more $$$ to get a good Chromebook with decent hardware. That's why you should look for a Netbook. Samsung>>Asus>>HP>>Dell are amongst the best to look for.
If you do this, you will be a much happier camper in the long run. You can dual boot with Windows 7 Starter and GNU/Linux or run GNU/Linux alone.A Chromebook purchase for the Operating System alone is a big mistake. An Android Tablet is a different story. I have 11 Chromebooks sitting on the shelf at my store collecting dust that customers left my company holding the repair bill. That should answer your question to are they worth it > NO <. Don't let anyone tell you that buying a refurbished computer is the wrong thing to do. Buying a used/refurbished Monitor or Big Screen TV that's a different story by itself >NO. Tigerdirect and Walmart provide limited Warranties on all their refurbished products for the benefit of the customer.
Note what ever you do, stay away from ACER or GATEWAY >>>> Nightmare waiting to happen <<<<

nick11h

Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:56:10 pm

I was about to ask your opinion on this: http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AOD270-1375- ... ab_pd_bs_1
But not anymore, after reading the last bit of Datek's reply.

Anyway, The Lemote Yeelong Notebook seems fascinating, but I couldn't find much record of where it can be bought or when its coming out (The Chinese version of the site and forum seemed a bit more detailed, though, I couldn't quite understand it well with translating tools alone)
Similarly, the Zorin PC caught my attention, but I can't find much about purchasing that, either.

Unfortunately, I've had horrible experiences with refurbished computers and Dells. Asus doesn't seem to be getting many good reviews lately, and Samsung seems a bit pricey in most cases.

Thanks for giving me a new perspective of the Chromebooks. I'm going to look into HPs now but would be extremely grateful for any information you have about the Zorin PC and this Lemote business (I'd love to try the unique processor and the SSD-SATA combo if it's not to expensive).

Anonymous

Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:41:18 am

One thing not to do, is don't get in the habit believing everything you read on the internet, because websites like Cnet amongst others are paid to promote the false truth about real world statistics in relation to technology.
Example say your in one of the Malls or at a Public Library count how many Androids to Iphones you see. Same for Tablets. Then go online and compare to what they say is NO.1 !!!!.
And if you want to really narrow it down to the best Netbooks !!!
1. ) Samsung
2. ) HP
3. ) ASUS
The thing when buying refurbished is butter up the Tech :D , get to know them at the store your buying from.
Or buy new, if that make you feel more at ease.
That Tech can be your best friend.
The sales person can be your worst enemy, because these days they work on brownie points instead of commission. >> Same thing <<
Order online and pickup at the nearest store.
Have him or her >> Tech >> Pull the Netbook out and check it over before you walk out the store.
Why you may ask. >>>>Remember the restocking fees<<<<
Don't do Best Buy if you can help it.

nick11h

Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:16:06 am

datek1 wrote:Don't do Best Buy if you can help it.

You... read my mind....

I was thinking of going there just for the external optical drive or purchasing it off the internet.

I'll probably get the netbook off Amazon or Newegg, if they don't have anything decent at the local Costco (Best return policy in the world) or if I can't find anything out about buying a Zorin PC or Leemote.

nick11h

Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:39:11 am

I've been searching for a while without much success for the right mix in quality hardware, brand, and price.

Do you guys have any more suggestion?

Anonymous

Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:13:35 pm

I deleted the last post since I know what we're getting into. And the prior post didn't need to be picked up by one of the >>Bots<<. It takes the right resources and experience to track one of those yahoo's down. I'm not going to hinder as to how, because they have eyes that can see. I'll get back with you on a good choice.

This is a hint as to how :

Anonymous

Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:03:28 pm

Amazon.com : http://www.amazon.com/X101CH-EU17-BK-10 ... s=netbooks

OR

Walmart.com : http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-Refurbis ... m/19590182

If it were my choice I would go with the Dell Netbook from Walmart.com > Reburbished
Reason > Any Netbook with Windows 7 Home Premium will always have more gusto than a Netbook with Windows 7 Home Starter installed.
I would trust Refurbished any day from Walmart.com over any of the others based on their long term reputation.
Why > Walmart has always backed up their products sold New or Refurbished !!!!
You can order online and pickup and inspect the Netbook at your nearest Walmart prior to walking out the door.
You can't do that with the others.
Hope this helps for you !!! :D
Datek

nick11h

Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:38:02 pm

Thanks!

I'll probably go with the Asus, but do you have any opinions on the comments about the machine dying after a month?
I'm guessing you've had a lot of hands on experience with netbooks because of your business, and I've only seen a couple, so are the keyboard sizes really as annoying as they say?

Any specific comments about how this we'll preform, duel booted with Zorin?

I really appreciate the advice, thanks a ton.

Anonymous

Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:44:31 pm

My 25 year old Bull Moose in a China Closet Daughter owns an ASUS Netbook > Refurbished.
She's had it over a year now.
She's rough on electronics period.

The only little thing you might need help with, is the wireless connection configuration.
And Madivengars the expert when it comes to that part.
I know what's going on, but that's to much keyboarding to explain.
In which I can't do at the moment. :D

nick11h

Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:14:44 am

Isn't there a GUI for configuring duel booting after "Install Zorin" is clicked while running it as a live disk?

Also, if Zorin doesn't automatically pick up my wireless card info like it did on my old Acer notebook, I'll be back here in the blink of an eye.

nick11h

Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:01:02 am

I've gotten the netbook, and everything worked decently with Windows for the short period it was on the hard drive.

I tried installing Zorin via external optical drive, but it didn't quite work. The disc I burned worked on several other PCs, so it most likely isn't that (I'll admit to not checking the md5, though), and as soon as I got to the Zorin boot menu and clicked any option except for Memory Test, black lines appeared across the top of the screen, and the netbook froze.

My netbook seems to hate Ubootnetin, and I've made a bit of progress with Linux Universal USB Installer (YUMI), however, that also refuses to work with Zorin.

With both the flashdrive programs, I can boot Zorin Live Mode, but the screen flashes black every half second or stays black and only the areas I click become visible. Even after installing to the hardrive, this reoccurred.

Right now, I'm using an extremely glitchy Ubuntu and am testing out Linux Mint and Puppy OS.

I still prefer Zorin, though, and would appreciate any advice on how to get it working.

Model: ASUS X101CH-EU17-BK

Also, when I tried installing the Cedar Trail driver Ubuntu found after clicking Additional Drivers, an error occurred, and the instillation could not be completed.

nick11h

Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:53:08 pm

Zorin 6.2

I noticed some similar graphically glitches with some other distros like Fuduntu, Lubuntu, and Pear.

Also, nothing seems to be able to install the Cedar Trail driver under additional drivers. I always get an error message about it not being available.

I'll try out the lite version now.

nick11h

Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:22:48 pm

Zorin Lite works great, thanks!