This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Drivers

kc5poo

Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:48:43 pm

I recently installed the new Zorin 6 on my laptop. Generally speaking, it looks and runs great but I'm having some issues with it. For this post, I am addressing driver issues. By this I mean, peripherals such as Printers. When I connect it to a printer, and this has happened with more than one printer. It recognizes the printer, and in some cases, will install a driver, but when I try to print, the printer will give some indication that it recognizes a print command and document have been sent to the printer, but it never pints a document. In other cases, it will recognize that the printer is connected, but indicates no driver is installed or present, and will not install the printer. The printers being used, installed and worked fine with the previous OS of Zorin 5. I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting the printer, Connecting directly to the printer as well as access through a network, rebooting the laptop, Uninstalling and re-installing the printer (i.e. removing the printer from the installed printer list in the OS. Nothing has worked. Does anyone have any thoughts on this.

Respectfully submitted,
Mark Walker
a.k.a kc5poo

kc5poo

Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:04:31 am

Thank you for responding to my post. I appologize for not responding sooner. The printer is a Toshiba e-source 2330C copy machine which also functions as a printer. I have tried connecting to it via Network AND via direct connection (USB). The computer recognizes the printer but will not install it. It gives an error message that the driver(s) is/are not present: then the printer disappears from the printer screen.

madvinegar

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:00:56 am

How did you "install" this printer?
Have you selected "printers" from the menu of Zorin, and then followed the procedure for finding and intalling the drivers?

kc5poo

Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:52:36 am

Madvinegar,
After Connecting the printer to my laptop (Direct connection Via USB) or by connecting wirelessly through an established network, which was used previously using Zorin OS 5; I then accessed printers through the following path: (menu>all applications>system tools>system settings>Printers). Since the upgrade to Zorin OS 6. This Laptop has been unable to connect to the afore mentioned printer(s). Then I have proceded with clicking on the found printer for it to install the printer. I have also followed the same pathway and clicked on the [+] at the lower left of the installed printers window, to add a printer; which also fails after it initially finds and acknowledges the connected printer(s). (the Toshiba is the printer of primary concern; there are other with the same problem.)

kc5poo

Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:16:49 am

Hi swarfender437,

Good call, there on the up late. Yes, as you can see from the time stamp on that post, IT WAS late for me that night. Thank you for catching the error. Yeah, I knew it was an e-studio rather than e-source; but being tired, it came out wrong.

At any rate, I will definitely try your suggestions and see what happens; then I'll get back with you and let you know if I'm still having problems. I really appreciate all the help that you and everyone who has offered suggestions and solutions to the various questions and issues that I've posted on the Forums here. Everyone has been so helpful, and it is appreciated greatly.

kc5poo

Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:47:50 pm

Hey Swargendor437,

I tried what you suggested, with a slight twist..... which I will explain momentarily. The end result though, was that it didn't work. The Computer did the exact same thing it's previously done. It recognized the printer I clicked for it to install, but then, once again, the printer disappeared from the list. I WAS connected directly to the e-studio printer, when I attempted to install the printer. Here's what I did differently:

I followed your instructions to the letter with the exception of using Gdebi Package installer. Instead, I used Software Center to install the .deb package. It seemed to install it just fine. It did not appear to have any kind of problem installing the package. My question at this point is simply this, shouldn't Software Center (or Ubuntu Software Center if we're being very specific) be able to handle this type of package? I mean, I've used it to install .deb packages before without any problems. However. I'm still new to Linux, so it the package REQUIRES that I use Gdebi Package Installer, I'm more than willing to download and use it, but if Software Center is able to handle the package, then there's a bigger problem here than we both thought. Any thoughts on the matter; and again.... Thanks for all your help.

Respects
kc5poo

kc5poo

Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:03:12 am

Hey swarfendor437, That's a G R E A T question..... and the answer is two fold. I download and installed the 64-bit version of Zorin 6. However, having done some research on my system.... AFTER the fact.... I believe this computer is a 32-bit system. The interesting thing for me, is, that it seems that the installer has either compensated for this fact, and is running at 32-bit, OR my system is actually 64-bit, and the general information that I've been finding regarding this Dell Inpiron 1525, is wrong. I don't believe this last part of my statement for a minute.... but stranger things have happened. My belief is that the installer compensated some how. The OS runs PERFECTLY from what I can tell: the only REAL issue I've had has been with regard to this printer, and others generally speaking. I'm at a total loss, myself.

As for the Software Center vs. Gdebi; I'm glad to know that you pretty much concur with me that using Gdebi wouldn't have had any better results that what I got with Software Center. I'm glad to know I was on track with that.

So having said all that..... Any thoughts???

Again My thanks to you for all your help and input.

Respectfully,
kc5poo

kc5poo

Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:59:19 pm

Hey Swarfendor437,

I checked out the CUPS filter, HP filter, and they appear to be in the Synaptic package manager, at least that's what it looks like to me. As much as I hate to..... I'm probably going to try downloading the 32-bit version again and see if I can get the ISO file to burn properly, the last time I tried, it didn't work right after the burn process was finished. That's part of the reason why I went with the 64-bit OS; It worked.... But things happen, and I'm guessing, that in the final analysis, a rip and reinstall is going to be what's required. :cry:

I will try your suggestion of installing the CUPS filter and the HP just to see what happens. I'll Let you know how things turn out. Thanks again. By-the-way, Name's Mark.

Take Care.

kc5poo

Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:31:22 pm

Hey Swarfendor437,

Sorry this reply has been so long in coming; I've had a lot going on and haven't had time to try out your suggestions until now. I did try re-installation of the CUPS filter as well as the other filters, and none of it worked. The 3-studio printer drivers are not installing, or else the computer is just not finding them when it attempts to install the printer. It still finds the printer, but tells me that the printer drivers are not present and does not install the printer as a result. I will probably end up doing a complete hard drive wipe, and installation for Zorin-6 32-bit edition. :cry:
But at this point, I don't think there's any help for it, unless you have any other suggestions. Again, all the help you have provided, and can continue to provide is greatly appreciated.

As we approach the celebration of The Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, may the Light of his LOVE, and the Blessings of God the Father be with you, and your family.

Respectfully,
Mark Walker
A.K.A kc5poo
:)

Wolfman

Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:39:08 am

Hi,

if you try the 32 bit version in live mode, make sure the printer is swtiched on and connected via a USB port and try printing a test page, if it works, it is most likely not compatiable with a 64 bit system as Swarf has already pointed out!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

kc5poo

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:02:18 am

Greetings Swarfendor,

Well as I promised I would do, I'm letting you know what happened with your suggestions. I have s o m e news about my computer and the issues I was/am/will be? having as related to Zorin 6 OS. As I mentioned, I tried your suggestions and they didn't work. SO, I broke down and and wiped my hard drive :x , and installed Zorin 6 OS 32-bit version after re-downloading the ISO and burning it to disk. Download, Burn, and install went fine. OS is up and running. :D Tried connecting to the previously discussed printer, both wirelessly and hard wired: and discovered a whole NEW set of problems. :evil: OH Great... These will be discussed in a different thread, except where applicable here.

Let me at this point review a little back ground to explain something here. The printer we've been discussing is my church's printer. I use it for printing the Church Bulletins which I generate via the office suite (OpenOffice.org) on my computer (this will be important later as it pertains to one of the new problems) and put together. I may have mentioned this previously. At any rate, previously I had Zorin 5 OS on this computer, and everything worked great. It was after installing the lates version that I started having problems. As previously mentioned, it is a network printer and I was able to connect without problems.

He's what happened:

1. Just because it was easier at the time, I tried connecting wirelessly to the printer, via the network that the computer is connected to. ***NEW PROBLEM ALERT*** :? I could NOT get connected to the network. Now understand this, I'm able to connect to MY network at home (network is WEP protected), but could not connect to the church's network, which is an OPEN network; NO Security protection(unless they've changed it and I'm unaware of it). Just for kicks and giggles, I also tried connecting to an open network belonging to a neighbor and that worked, but having tried to connnect to the church network for some time, all efforts failed. What the HECK??? Oh well, Go Figure: it's a relatively minor issue anyway. Subsequently, though; I gave up and tried connecting with a direct connection to the network. This Worked. The computer recognized the printer and installed the drivers. :)

2. I tried printing a test page to the printer. This failed. :( The printer acknowledged the receipt of data from the computer (a print date light began flashing on the printer). But it never printed. Tried several times, and NOTHING. Gave up this approach; and tried a Direct connection via USB, to the printer.

3. Direct connection to the printer via USB yielded the same results. The computer recognized the printer as a LOCAL printer, installed it as such, and the print data light began flashing when the test print was attempted. Again tried 3 different times. All failed.

4. Upon further inspection of the printer, I found in it's print log where it was acknowledging the print command, but was NOT acknowledging the source. In other words, it was listing the print command SOURCE as an invalid source (not authorized). :?: A simple manual command within the printers settings on the actual machine yielded a print test page from where the command had been sent from my computer. SO, it looks like the printer itself needs tweeking, which I didn't have time for that day. I just used a different source from which to print the bulletins.

So in conclusion..... The Printer issue MAY be fixed.... relatively speaking.... considering where the problem now seems to lie. Please check out my new through as we look into the new problems that seem to have arrisen. No pun intended on the celebration of the LORD's Resurrection.

By-the way Swarfendor... not preaching here, but as long as you draw breath, there's always HOPE. Trust me.... I KNOW! Blessings to you and yours, and HAPPY EASTER! ;)

kc5poo

Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:45:31 pm

Swarfendor,

this is kc5poo, once again writing to you about the driver issue I was having some time ago with Zorin 6. At that time I was using the 64 bit version; and was having trouble with the OS installing the drivers for a Toshiba e-studio 2330c Copier/printer. As you may recall, the OS had originally installed the device without any problems. However, after running update manager, and installing an as yet undetermined update, the OS lost the drivers for the a fore mentioned copier/printer; and while it would recognize the device as present (both as a network printer and as a local printer via USB connection) and then attempt to install it, it never would install the device again. Moreover, you had provided me with great suggestions for attempting to get the OS to re-install the device. At that time I came to the conclusion that I would have to wipe my hard drive and install the 32bit version of Zorin OS 6. This I did, and the situation resolved itself (so I thought). Some time ago, I did an update using update manager, just as before, and once again, the OS lost the printer drivers for the printer, and I tried ALL of your previous suggestions; INCLUDING: downloading the drivers from the Toshiba website, installing Alien, and converting the files to Debian, the installing through Ubuntu Software Center. Incidentally, there appeared to be two different Drivers which were applicable to Linux. So I downloaded and installed them both. This turned out to be an exercise in futility as it did not remedy the problem. So, once again my friend, I'm seeking your knowledge and expertise in this matter. HELP!!!!

Respectfully submitted,
Mark Walker
a.k.a kc5poo

Swarfendor437

Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:50:59 pm

Hi there! First off I would 'purge' your drivers but you need to know EXACTLY what they are called! I have never 'purged' printer files before but to be on the safe side see if you can do this via synaptic. You state it is a Toshiba so I would search for either 'Toshiba' or 'toshiba' in the search box of synaptic - mark the application/package for 'complete removal'. What I am finding is that I have similar issues with 'ndiswrapper' - if the kernel is updated, then the 'dkms module' needed to pick up my latest dongle has to be reinstalled once more as the new kernel does not come packaged with the 'dkms module' so the process has to be started again - not good is it? This is why kernel devs need to get there ar.. 'ahem' 'act' in to gear to include these modules and stop putting people from migrating to GNU/Linux - what you have to understand is that the kernel is like the crazy driver of a car - that's right, 'the nut behind the wheel' - except there is more than one 'driver' and all having different agendas (including M$ who are only interested in 'hypervisor' compatibility!). So even I have discovered to what it means to 'recompile' the kernel - basically, adding bits that were in the original but have gone since an update. If this continues I can see people shifting to BSD or even Complete OS or whatever it is called based on Amiga. Heck I may even give this a try!:

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/O ... 6223.shtml

Don't try and install two drivers unless one specifically states it is for the printer element and the other the scanner element - I have visions similar to that of someone installing two anti-virus products grinding their machine to a halt because each AV thinks the other is a virus! Keep us posted!

Wolfman

Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:18:11 am

Hi Mark,

just to point out that you need to make sure that your PC is fully up-to-date including "pre-released" updates, check the update guide for full info and setting your software sources:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

kc5poo

Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:49:35 am

Hello Swarfenor and Wolfman,

First I'd like to say thankyou for responding. It is greatly appreciated. Second, I'll just like to say FRAG ME!!!!. OYE. As if what I posted recently wasn't enough..... I completely wiped Office Libre off my computer to install OpenOffice 4. While the two office suites us the same basic formats, there are some slight differences in Look and functions. I Like OpenOffice. So I installed OpenOffice on my computer in place of OfficeLibre. Everything was going fine.... UNTIL.....I started installing extentions for the software. This turned out to a BIG mistake. OpenOffice kept crashing every time I'd open a file. So I completely ripped OpenOffice through Synaptic Package Manager, and re-installed. OH OH... NOW what have I done. Suddenly, Ubuntu Software Center is GONE, and/or Not working. Also, the applet which displays the wireless network icon, Email icon, and shutdown button that normally appears in the lower right corner of the OS desktop won't load. Additionally, my Xiphos Bible Guide program is also GONE; and the System Settings link in Zorin Menu, doesn't work. I managed to get Xiphos Bible Guide re-installed, after re-installing Ubuntu Software Center through Synaptic Package Manager. Incidentally, I moved the file containing the extentions so that OpenOffice would not access them, and start crashing on me again. So... IT works Fine. BUT, as I mentioned, the applet that sits in the bottom right of the screen of the task bar no longer loads, it just keeps saying "Loading Applet". Also, the system settings option in the Zorn Menu no longer works. I tried finding it in Ubuntu Software Center, thinking I could do a reinstall, and access my devices screen again; but no such luck. Didn't know what I am really looking for. Can someone shoot me and just put me out of y'all's misery.

Sincerely Frustated,
Mark Walker
aka kc5poo

Wolfman

Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:51:57 am

Hi Mark,

when you removed the apps you didn't want, did you get a message about it also removing other packages and did you agree to that?.

Boot your PC normally and open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and paste the following command:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

the above command should replace any missing files you need, restart your PC afterwards.

Another package you should install is the full "Gnome" package, it will install a lot of apps you don't need but adds to the stabilty of the system imo.

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome

For problems with the AWN panel, see the post install guide and this section: "More info about the AWN (Avant Window Manager)" which is near the bottom, it explains how to replace missing icons in the panel:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2054

Hope it helps.

Swarfendor437

Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:33:48 pm

Hi kc5poo, now not sure if this will help your situation as I had some issues connecting my PearOS 7 to printer attached to Windows XP (all machines apart from XP one have wireless dongles) and the solution for me was to open a terminal and enter:

Code:
system-config-printer

And madvinegar posted a helpful reply here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4699&sid=7d35b5bf27e9c294775d9259462f6318#p26828

[Please refer to Wolfman's screenshots above madvinegars reply]

Now in the past you said you had no issues connecting to the Church's network - can you remember what you called the machine when it had Zorin 5 on? Does the Church's network have a domain you have to be a part of?

Another way to look at things is to install the driver that you last remember worked, then go to Add Printer and choose the printer name that should now appear as one available through the machine. I will look at your other issues and try and get back to you - if I am off-beam at the moment I have got a 'frozen shoulder' whose pain is finding it's way to the back of my head! :D

Swarfendor437

Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:00:59 pm

Hi kc5poo, Another thought has occurred to me - Zorin from 6 on does not have all the wireless modules installed - if you go into synaptic package manager and type 'ndiswrapper' in the search bar - you will see two apps/modules not checkmarked - you need these to install Windows Wireless Drivers 'fully' - but you need a hard wire connection or an old Netgear dongle like a WG111v3 to download these packages - but if you had one of these you wouldn't need the extra packages! ;)

Another element might be to install CIFS as SAMBA is now 'deprecated' - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5567#p26531

kc5poo

Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:18:22 am

Hey Swarfendor, Hey Wolfman;

thanks for all y'alls support and information. It is SOOOOO GREATLY appreciated. I'll try all these suggestions and see what happens. I'll let you know what the result is, and I'll also let you know any other information you might need regarding these issues. Also, Swarfendor, I'm sorry to hear about your shoulder. I will pray for you. It's the least I can do. God Bless both of you, and I'll be in touch in a few days.

kc5poo

Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:51:00 am

Okay Swarfendor, and Wolfman;

I tried Wolfman's suggestions:

"sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade"

and

"sudo apt-get install gnome"

This helped but had some somewhat unexpected results.... which were.... ummmm.... annoying but livable. No offense to Wolfman intended. However, it did not fix the issue with the app in the lower right of the task bar, and another app which is in the lower right, next to the Zorin Menu, also "went bye bye." Don't know if it had ANYTHING to do with the suggestions though, and I'd rather err on the side of giving Wolfman and his suggestions, the benefit of the doubt; especially since you guys know more about this OS than I do.

SO.... That being said.... I also took you're advise Swarfendor with regard to accessing synaptic package manager and typing in "ndiswrapper", then checking the boxes and installing the packages you mentioned. Will see what comes of this... I do have one question though... and feel free to laugh and my ingnorance here, but what did you mean by saying "SAMBA is now 'deprecated'."

Respectfully,
Mark Walker
aka kc5poo

Wolfman

Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:29:54 am

Hi Mark,

the AWN panel is controlled by its own manager, if icons are missing, you need to read through the AWN tips in the post install guide, it doesn't have anything to do with Gnome or KDE, I install both the full Gnome and KDE packages on my system as I think they add to the stability of the system because there are both Gnome and KDE apps installed!. (As I said before, it will add a lot of apps you don't need!)

Swarfendor437

Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:44:55 am

Hi kc5poo, You will love this ;-)

"deprecated: status may also indicate that feature will be removed in the future...meaning "to ward off (a disaster) by prayer" "

Basically, it is now becoming old hat - and will either simply not work or possibly create other issues - please advise if I put the link in to that tutorial which was originally on samba and command lines (bash) replaced with 'cifs' instead of 'samba' - I think I posted the link in that other forum link earlier.

kc5poo

Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:25:49 pm

Wolfman, Swarfendor,
I appreciate both of you, and all your suggestions. here's a slightly different line of questioning. I have found instructions on use of Samba, some what lacking, and will be uninstalling it from my computer. I installed Dropbox and also a program called Giver, for doing file transfers. At one point Dropbox looked like it was going to work for me; it kept popping up everytime I stated my computer and I'd close it out until I was ready to use it. When the day came to try and use it.... it no longer popped up, and, interestingly enough, won't load when I click on it to open it. Tried uninstalling it and reinstalling. Did not help. I'm going to try removal through synaptic and see what happens. As for Giver. tried installing it through software center using the instructions for converting a tar.gz file, you gave me in previous post as well as installing through terminal. Both ways indicated that the program installed, but no icon was put into the internet option in Zorin Menu; where the website I downloaded it from said that there should be an icon, so..... think more is going on with my computer than meets the eye. will keep you guys informed on how things go with this. If I could just get a program like Samba, or dropbox, or some other software which is designed to transfer files between computers on the same network. I think I'd just Wipe my system and start over. Hate doing that but sometimes that is the quickest and best fix

Respectfully submitted,
Mark Walker
aka kc5poo

Wolfman

Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:09:10 am

Hi Mark,

another command you can try is the force update command as you may have a problem with missing dependencies, paste the following in a terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Restart after doing the command and see what happens.

Swarfendor437

Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:48:20 pm

Hi kc5poo, I would try Wolfman's suggestion before starting over too! :D

kc5poo

Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:41:49 pm

Well Guys,

I ended up wiping my hard drive and installing Zorin os 7. It seems to be running great. The only thing is, There was an application that I could download through Software Center, on Zorin os 6 that I can't seem to get through the Software Center Now. The program is still out there to be had, but it is in tar.gz format. Further more, the instructions for installing it, when it is extracted, are a totally mystery to me. I'll post to the forums about that, later. I will say this.... I tried using ALIEN to convert it to a .DEB file the way Swarfendor suggested sometime back when I was having the trouble with the Printer Drivers. It said it installed, but did not give me an icon in Zorn Menu, so I don't know how to access the program, or even if it will run correctly.
Anyway, I previously told you guys I'd let you know what happened when I implemented your suggestions. Honestly, there appeared to be more going on with the computer that the things I mentioned so I just went straight to reformating and Installation of the new OS. I really appreciate ALL the HELP and SUGGESTIONS that you guys have given me. You Guy are great! Blessings to you and your families.

Respectfully,
Mark Walker
aka kc5poo

Wolfman

Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:42:04 am

Hi Mark,

is this solved now?, I have already posted an answer about your bible software in your other thread!.

kc5poo

Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:23:28 am

Hey Wolfman,

Thanks for responding. Honestly, I don't know. I haven't tried using my computer with the Printer that has been discussed in this post, since I installed Zorin-OS 7. However, again, in all honesty.... I don't care. I've gotten me a jump drive which I'm saving the Church Bulletin to, and I'm simply taking that up to the church and using the church computer to print up the Bulletin. Should have thought of it sooner, but what can I say, sometimes I have moments of shear brainlessness! As long as this this works with my home printer, aaaaahhh! I reckon I'm good to go. I AM going to list this post as [SOLVED]. So no worries. I really appreciate all the help you and Swarf have given me. I really means a lot to a newbie to linux like me. Thanks again; and blessings to you and Swarendor.

Wolfman

Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:19:28 am

Hi Mark,

no problem, that is why we are here to help others, we all had to start somewhere and we are just passing on what we have learnt.