This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED]Minimize/Maximize buttons

kc5poo

Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:02:52 pm

This topic is more of a curiousity question than anything. I have recently installed Zorin 6 on my Dell 1525 Laptop computer. I was previously running Zorin 5. On the new OS, I have notices that there are no Minimize and Maximize buttons on any windows I open, but the options are available if I right Click on the window, at the bottom of the screen, on the task bar. Am I simply missing a system or display setting that I need to go and change, or is this just the way the new OS is designed, OR is this an issue with this particular installation of this OS on MY system?

Respectfully Submitted,
Mark Walker
A.K.A kc5poo

kc5poo

Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:08:13 am

Thankyou for responding to my query. I believe I am running Core not Lite. I have not made any changes to as for as I know, to Update Manager. The Update Manager shows to be set to "for long-term support version."

spavila

Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:03:09 pm

You may also want to check Compiz Settings. This can be found under clicking Start > System Tools > Preferences > CompizConfig Settings Manager in the menu.
Once there, see if the Window Decoration is checked.

Here is a TIP. You can always press the ALT key + right click the mouse on a window with missing buttons and a small window will appear that will allow you to minimize, maximize and close the window.

You may also notice that I changed my buttons. I got tired of the grey buttons and opted for a Windows look.

Open up a terminal and type in the commands below to get this look:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:upubuntu-com/gtk3
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install win2-7-remix-theme

I've posted before and after screenshots if you are interested in viewing them (see link below).
http://jj89128notes.blogspot.com/2013/02/windows-7-gtk3-theme.html

Hope you get your buttons back.

kc5poo

Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:56:59 am

Spavila, Thanks for the info.... The windows decoration box was unchecked. Once I checked it, this fixed the problem. I also ran the commands you suggested. Again, my thanks. I love Zorin Linux, and one of the things that drew me to it, was that it had more of a windows look than other distros. Now my os looks even more like Windows. I'm sure you all have heard this before, but I absolutely HATE that you constantly have to keep downloading updates to Windows, as well as the fact that every so ofter a newer version comes out and older one become obsolete. Not quite so with open source OSes. I'm still learning Linux, but what I've learned so for, I absolutely love. Thank you all, once again for your help.