This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Install bios attack.

Levi88

Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:24:23 pm

I was attempting to install zorin core 6.1 After many attempts (kept freezing on live boot screen) it showed me many messages. Kernel panic, who to email, etc. The email addy won't accept my pic though. To further complicate matters, on my next attempt I successfully installed zorin. I then downloaded the recommended auto updates by the update manager, I then restarted PC. Still worked ok. I then clicked on additional drivers. Nvidia drivers is what it said I needed. I installed the first on the list. Now, my monitor will not come on during or after boot. I must unplug pc, take the battery out of the motherboard and then put it back in. PC will start then, but says bios values were reset to default cause of a change. I have done a reinstall, tried a dif OS and I still have to yank the battery every time otherwise the monitor won't come on. Please help fix this. I have not abandoned Linux, that's all I run. A little disapointed in Zorin right now though. I have other pics that are more readable, but they don't show all info

Anonymous

Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:50:50 pm

The Moderators/Members can help you better knowing what kind of setup/computer your using.
Post your in detail :
Make
Model
CPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Graphics

Have you updated the Bios recently > yes or no

Levi88

Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:27:27 pm

HP Pavilion a6707c tower designed for Win Vista. All stock except HDD which is a 300GB SATA and a wifi card. Built in graphics to motherboard. 2.4GHz dual core pentium, 4GB DDR2 RAM. Bios has not had a recent update that I know of. Got it early last year in Feb. I tried to update, but HP doesn't provide bios updates except through 3rd party sites which wanna charge me $30 a year and I am not familiar with the methods of doing it manually and don't wanna "perma toast" my bios by screwing it up. The zorin is the 64 bit edition. I even tried reinstalling ubuntu, but it still doesn't fix the issue

Anonymous

Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:05:50 pm

>>>Copy/Save and store for further Troubleshooting<<<

This is what I refer to in detail !!! :D :D :D
I'm being thorough, because that is the way it's done.

>>>>>>>>>>Napa-GL8E Motherboard<<<<<<<<<<

>>>>Reference to Updating Bios if needed<<<<

Details and specifications
File name:
sp44647.exe [1/1, 2.01M]
System requirements:
You must be logged on as an administrator to install this update.
You must have a Napa-GL8E motherboard.
Released: 2010-03-17
Version: 5.27
Compatibility: Microsoft Windows Vista, Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit), Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit)
Fix/Enhancement:
Resolves blue screen issues with error codes of 0x7A and 0xF4 after upgrading to Windows 7 operating system.
Resolves issue with the system appearing to hang during restart if an HP Personal Media Drive is connected.

Link in Ref. Driver Updates : http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/soft ... 87314#N297

You can update the bios as a last resort only

Specifications :

: Manufacturer: Foxconn

: Form factor: microATX - 9.6 inches (24.4 cm) x 8.5 inches (21.5 cm)

: Chipset: GeForce 7100/nForce 630i

: Memory sockets: 2 x DDR2

: Front side bus speeds: 800/1066/1333 MHz

: Processor socket: 775

: Expansion Slots:

1 PCI Express x16 slot for graphics card
2 PCI Express x1 slots
1 PCI slot

: Intel Core 2 Duo E2220

Operating speed: Up to 2.4 GHz
Number of cores: 2
Socket: 775
Bus speed: 800 MHz

Processor upgrade information
Socket type: 775
Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades

Intel Core 2 Duo (Wolfsdale) E8xxx
Core 2 Duo E6xxx (Conroe) up to E6850
Pentium E2xxx series (Conroe) with Dual Core technology up to E2160
Core 2 Duo E4xxx (Conroe)
Celeron 4xx series (Conroe) up to Celeron 450

Memory
4 GB

Amount: 4 GB
Speed: PC2-6400 MB/sec

Memory upgrade information

Single channel memory architecture
Two 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets
Supported DIMM types:
PC2-4200 (533 MHz)
PC2-5300 (667 MHz)
PC2-6400 (800 MHz)
Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
Supports 2GB DDR2 DIMMs
Supports up to 4 GB* on 32 bit PCs (using two 2 GB DIMMs)
32 bit PCs cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.

Video graphics
Integrated graphics using GeForce 7100
*Integrated video is not available if a graphics card is installed.

Integrated graphics using GeForce 7100
One VGA port on backplate
One DVI port on backplate
Also supports PCI Express x16 graphics cards

Sound/Audio
Integrated Realtek ALC888S Audio

Audio CODEC: ALC888S
8 channel high-definition audio

Networking
LAN: 10-Base-T

Interface: Integrated into motherboard
Technology: Realtek RTL8201CL
Data transfer speeds: up to 10/100Mb/s
Transmission standards:10-Base-T Ethernet

Hard Drive

Size: 500 GB
Interface: SATA
Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM

CD/DVD disc drive
DVD+/-R/RW 16X 12X +/-DL LS 12X RAM SuperMulti SATA drive

Interface: SATA
Data buffer memory: 2 MB
Maximum storage capacity: 8.5 GB
Must use Double-Layer media discs in order to take advantage of the DL technology
Must use LightScribe-enabled media discs and supporting software in order to take advantage of the LightScribe technology

Memory Card Reader
15-in-1 multimedia card reader

Power Supply
250W
250W power supply

>>>>>>>>The most important part of the information needed for troubleshooting was left out.<<<<<<<<<<

>>>>>>>>>> Your Chipset/Graphics driver is part or could be the whole of your problem.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

At the Moment I can't type/keyboard hardly at all, but the others can do the explaining on what needs to be done. !!!

Levi88

Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:37:24 pm

if I am not mistaken, it is a Foxconn. it has 2 slots for RAM and they're both 2 gigabyte sticks. The sticker on the front says NVIDIA graphics. Hope this helps on the specifics of that.

Anonymous

Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:46:18 pm

That's the Manufacture >> Everything needed to help you solve the problem is already listed.
Just wait for Swarfendor or Madvinegar to help you out.
Their time is a head of ours.
Just wait for one of them to respond.

OR

Here's the Commands for your Graphics Card Install :
Link in Ref : http://www.howopensource.com/2012/10/in ... using-ppa/

To add PPA for Ubuntu 12.04
Open Terminal > Pressing > Ctrl+Alt+T
Enter the Commands below :

: sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates

After adding the PPA, update your system repository.
To Update

: sudo apt-get update

Now install the NVIDIA GeForce graphics driver 304.51 in your system, as you install other packages by using apt-get.
To Install

: sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings

: Restart Computer

Note : You will see a little difference in the commands than normally used !!!

Levi88

Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:29:42 pm

Thanks for the help friend. I will also point out that I was running ubuntu 12.04 on this PC before just fine, I then updated to 12.10 through the update manager and didn't like the unstable nature. I decided to try zorin and that's when the problems developed. I'm not sure if that makes a difference, but just thought I would throw it in just in case. Sometimes little details that don't seem important can make all the difference.

Anonymous

Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:38:55 pm

Weird things have been happening lately, And expect even crazier things to happen when the Ubuntu 12.04.2 Update comes out on Thursday Feb 14. 2012.
You have a good machine, but that particular graphics card needs a little more TLC in some cases.
In the upcoming year, I would suggest update to a newer NVIDIA CARD > GEFORCE 210 >Great Card for the price> $30.00 and 450 Watt Power Supply> Most Places>Tiger Direct >$ 25.00.
Nothing wrong with what you have now, but in the near future the way these new kernel's have been coming out !!!
To avoid major headaches before they happen !!!! :lol: :D :D :lol:

Levi88

Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:54:23 pm

I was planning on getting a 1080p with an HDMI output, but I need the machine to work first

Levi88

Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:03:23 pm

Alright, thanks. Also, this is more waiting for the response of the other 2 members you mentioned. Monitor will not come on at all now. I've been trying. I even left the battery out of the motherboard for 5 minutes. I was gonna install ubuntu again to do the updates, but need a display for that. :(

Anonymous

Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:14:49 pm

Levi88 wrote:Alright, thanks. Also, this is more waiting for the response of the other 2 members you mentioned. Monitor will not come on at all now. I've been trying. I even left the battery out of the motherboard for 5 minutes. I was gonna install ubuntu again to do the updates, but need a display for that. :(

Do yourfself a favor while waiting on the others. If all possible Clean/format your drive to be on the safe side.
And leave the battery in the Motherboard if you can help it.
Don't let yourself get in a uproar while on the forum for that will cause problems.

Levi88

Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:40:37 pm

Gentlemen, I appreciate the help. I do have onboard graphics and not a graphics card. The problem is now, how do I get the monitor to display? It will not. Before if I took the battery out it would go to default and work, but now, nada. The HDD has been cleared. I popped it in my other PC and formatted it. The normal initial blue boot screen with the HP logo and boot and setup options doesn't even come on now. The power button on my monitor stays "standby orange" at all times. The machine is all stock except for different HDD. I bought the complete tower - the HDD. And I apologize if I came off as abrupt earlier as that was not my intention. Was just trying to state facts. I love Linux and the community is awesome and has always been there for me. I hope this helps in the clarification of my dilemma. Thanks guys. :)

Levi88

Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:30:15 pm

Gentlemen, I am sending this message from the PC in question to say "THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!!" It now boots everytime. I had a small issue with my wifi card though. Monitor would only boot when I had it removed, however, once I finished the fresh install of ubuntu 12.04 I installed the card and powered on and no more conflicts. Is it still advised that I install the NVIDIA drivers through the terminal as suggested earlier by datek1?

(Also as a footnote, will this PC be compatable with a 1080P 3D graphics card? A newer fan cooled one with 1GB DDR5 is what I've eyeballing for about $100)

Anonymous

Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:39:06 pm

Take the computer to a Best Buy or Tiger Direct Retail store to match it up with at least a >>450 Watt power Supply<<.
Doesn't mean you have to buy it there. Just get the general idea as to what choices/brands you can use.
Then go shopping around for the best deal.
Once you have the adequate power supply output.
Then you can add the new graphics card.
It's a good idea to have a total of 4 GB for best performace. > 2 X 2 = 4 GB. Using GNU/Linux or Windows in the future.
With your system that Geforce-210 will work like a charm. > Price $30.00 to $ 45.00.
The Geforce-210 is everything and more than use could need.
Nvidia GT-240 is also a good card if you can find a good deal.
And remember it takes at least 350 watts Minimum to run a decent card.
The reason why I said to get at least a 450 watt., is you have to count the power for the HD and Optical Drive also.
With $100.00 you can buy everything I mentioned above, if you watch for the sales in the paper and online.

Levi88

Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:22:55 pm

Thanks to all for the help and advice. I am really wanting to install Zorin as I am getting her to switch from that yucky Microsoft OS. It seems the only OS that will run smoothly on that particular PC is Ubuntu 12.04. I tried the Zorin and Linux Mint which wants to shut down after 10 minutes and restart outta the blue. I'm wondering if my burner might be a problem? I burned all the disks in the same burner using k3b. I especially liked the fact that Zorin has the actual Chrome browser too which I really want. Also, Linux mint said it was based off of ubuntu 12.10, so I tried the graphics commands in the terminal as was posted earlier and..... Instant crash! LOL. Mainly guys, I want Zorin, but is it my PC creating conflicts maybe due to the foxconn and graphics drivers? I would attempt an install on my other pc, but I got it running Netflix and Jdownloader on ubuntu with a ton of movies and would hate to lose my work should something go wrong.

Anonymous

Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:16:13 pm

I'll give you a little hint if Zorin OS doesn't work for you. SOLUS OS 1.2 > Netflx amongst other goodies are included. The graphics is a little pain if your a newbie, but other than Swarfendors favorite Trisquel > GNU/Linux is the only one worth a _______ to even mess with. Solus OS still uses Gnome 2 and Gnomenu can be added to the Desktop from Software Center. Don't even bother with Ubuntu 12.10> I'm not even going to get into that. If you can run Ubuntu 12.04 on your computer, you can run Zorin OS. Go to your nearest Public Library download and burn Zorin OS there, for they keep their computers clean. My son has Zorin OS on an old HP Pentium 4 that in turn means you shouldn't have any trouble what so ever to install Zorin OS.

As bad as I feel, I'm going to call my shop and have one of my employees bring a machine like yours over to my house.That way I can have my son run through your situation and see what you are or not doing right. Who knows what we may find. My son Christopher loves getting involved in these kind of problems. So if your problem gets solved tonight. You can thank my 9 year old Einstein.
We'll get back to you ASAP !!!! :D

Levi88

Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:12:31 am

Thank you. I never expected all that. I guess that's just what we love doing. :-)

Anonymous

Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:38:54 pm

This is the last post by me.
Gizmuntu had a very similar computer > exact same Motherboard as yours >> up and running Zorin OS 6 Core 32-Bit in less than 30 minutes.
Result : There wasn't any problems found with Zorin OS nor the Nvidia driver installation to be at fault in your case .

No further recommendations can be made !!!!
Datek / Gizmuntu

Levi88

Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:38:27 pm

Thank you very much for your time and effort. I'm starting to think it might just be the burner. I've been planning on buying a new one anyways. My lightscribe gave up in my other tower which is also an HP. A little older, but a media center edition with a 3.00GHz dual core. I switch the burner between the 2 PC's for burning and loading since it's the only drive I have. I'm gonna also play around with the other 2 OS's that you mentioned. Again gentlemen, thank you for all your help and I will remember all that I've learned and gladly share my itty bitty bit of knowledge with others as needed. :))