This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Awn crashing after startup

rmcellig

Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:01:15 pm

I installed Zorin 6.1 on my laptop. Everything was fine until I opened the Hardware drivers window and installed the recomended driver for my machine as well as the Wireless driver. Now when I restart my machine, it starts normally, I see my desktop and the Awn dock, but then the screen goes black, Awn quits and I am back to just my desktop. I can use my mouse but no Dock so I can't launch any programs etc... What should I do?

rmcellig

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:17:46 pm

I was able to reboot into Gnome (no effects), so I will turn that driver off and post back. For now, I am logged in as Gnome (no effects). Thanks for the response.

rmcellig

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:30:28 pm

I did sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade. All went well. I did that yesterday. I'm just waiting to restart my laptop because I am in the middle of something but after it finishes, I will post back with the results. Thanks so much for the help!!

rmcellig

Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:27:01 am

Just restarted and everything is fine. How could the driver have caused this? It was weird because Compiz crashed as well. I was able to go to /usr/share/applications and figure out which app I could launch so that when I rebooted, it would prompt me for a password. At least this way I could select gnome classic (no effects) just to get me back to normalcy. From there, I disabled the driver as suggested above and now Zorin is rockin'. It's funny because I tried Zorin a few months ago and ditched it thinking that there was a better distro out there. What I found out was that Zorin seemed to be the only distro I tried that gave me everything I needed out of the box. So far so good.

I hope to stay with Zorin longer than I did previously, and that's a good thing!! I have stopped using my iMac and much prefer Linux. On my iMac I have Mint 14 xfce running because it is able to do something that I am hoping Zorin will be able to do and that is record radio shows from the radio I have attached to my iMac. I will test that and see what happens. Mint works fine so I am hoping Zorin will do the same in this regard. Who knows, maybe I will be able to get the internal camera on the iMac working in Zorin as well. We'll see!!

Thanks again for the help!! Much appreciated!!!