This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

help getting started with zorin 6

chaseast

Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:32:24 pm

Can someone point me to a link to install updates?....I click on the power butten and select install updates and nothing happens...It downloads them but does not install them....

Also recommended threads to read for a real beginner...Most of the words and abbreviations mean nothing....Charlie

chaseast

Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:25:15 am

Thanks I'll get started on this about 1 AM my time as it is quite in here and I have now figured (Thanks Again) out how to get the terminal open..Will be back with feedback...Charlie

chaseast

Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:35:57 pm

The terminal gripes at me "command not found"....

My screen shows:
charles@charles-ET1831;(squigly)$

Squigly in parenthesis is a small sinewave
Charlie

chaseast

Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:36:27 pm

Thanks....First command went perfect....
second command griped :
comand not found

Deacon

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:32:53 am

chaseast wrote:Thanks....First command went perfect....
second command griped :
comand not found

I believe the second command has a typo. It's sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

That should work.

chaseast

Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:40:14 pm

Thanks....Worked this time.....Charlie

Deacon

Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:06:29 am

swarfendor437 wrote:Well spotted Deacon - my fingers/keyboard/forum page problems! I have edited the original error in case another new member visits and does not see the discussion below it!

Good idea, and considering the number of user support requests you're handling, totally understandable. On a certain forum, owned by a certain rich patron of a certain anonymous distribution where they are somewhat unfriendlier, I found the "sudu" command today on a year-old posting; someone said it didn't work, and that was that. I would have said something, but then thought "why bother"?