This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[MOVED] How to Update Zorin Software.

ventrman

Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:05:18 pm

I installed Zorin about 3 Days ago, I keep getting a Message that Update Software is available, but when I go to Install the Software, I get the Message that a lot of the Updates are from untrusted Sources. It will not let me proceed past that Point. What do I do to resolve this :?:

ventrman

Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:58:42 am

swarfendor437 wrote:This will be because there might be 3rd party apps that are not on the main server such as third party ppa repos. nothing to worry about - you may want to remove certain repositories if you wish through either Synaptic Package Manager | Settings | Repositories or through Update Manager | Settings.

I am new to Zorin. How do I remove the Repositories you talked about :?:

ventrman

Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:45:37 pm

Thans for your Help. I will give it a Try. One other Issue I have is that I get the Message that it has failed to upload the Flash Player Plugin. When I click the Button for run this now. Nothing Happens. What can be done to fix this?

ventrman

Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:01:25 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:OK simplest way to get there is: Menu | System Settings | Administration | Update Manager. After it has launched, click on the Settings button bottom left, then go to 'Other Software' Tab and select the PPA then click on 'remove' - but be sure you know what it is you are removing!:

32.jpg

I tried to use your suggestion and unclicked eveything that I did not want it to Download. Now when I attempt to install the Updates, I get the Message that all System Files failed to download and to check my Internt Connection. As you can see from my being Able to access this Forum, my Internet Connection is Fine. I am using Dishnet Sattelite Internet. :?:

ventrman

Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:50:27 am

swarfendor437 wrote:Hi ventrman, Try changing the server location (this is on the first tab of Update Manager | Settings.

I changed the Server Location to the Main Server. I still have the same Problem. Previously I was running regular Ubuntu. It updated without any Problem at all. I am at a Loss to know what to do. I do not really want to return to Ubuntu. I did not like the Version of Firefox on there. With Ubuntu, I could not play some of my Facebook Games. Only half of the Screen would load.

ventrman

Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:50:18 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Okay, open a terminal and enter

[code}sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade[/code]

As I said, I am new to Zorin. Can you explain how to open a Terminal? Also do I type in everything you typed there, or just the Part that begins with sudo apt-get and ends with dist-upgrade? Thanks for your Help.

ventrman

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:59:59 am

swarfendor437 wrote:To open a terminal; Ctrl+ Alt+ T. Then
Code:
sudo apt-get update

Then
Code:
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Thanks, I will give it a Try.

ventrman

Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:18:57 am

swarfendor437 wrote:To open a terminal; Ctrl+ Alt+ T. Then
Code:
sudo apt-get update

Then
Code:

This is what I get. What am I doing wrong?
greg@Greg:~$ Code: Select all sudo apt-get update
Code:: command not found
greg@Greg:~$ Code: Select all
Code:: command not found
greg@Greg:~$ Select all sudo apt-get update
Select: command not found
greg@Greg:~$

madvinegar

Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:05:43 pm

Do not write the "select all" line.
Write just
sudo apt-get update
and then press <enter>. Then write
and press <enter>

Auldyin

Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:10:28 pm

Hi ventrman

Click on Select All, this will hi-light the code required, right click on hi-lighted code and select copy, then paste into terminal.

Simple

Cheers Auldyin

:D :D :D :D :D :D

ventrman

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:39:29 pm

madvinegar wrote:Do not write the "select all" line.
Write just
sudo apt-get update
and then press <enter>. Then write
and press <enter>

When I opened a Terminal, this is what I did, Here are the Results. greg@Greg:~$ sudo apt-get update
[sudo] password for greg:
After that, I could not type anything into the Terminal.

ventrman

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:40:49 pm

Auldyin wrote:Hi ventrman

Click on Select All, this will hi-light the code required, right click on hi-lighted code and select copy, then paste into terminal.

Simple

Cheers Auldyin

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Where do I click on Select all?