This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Can't add Firefox to Zodrin

BigJim1

Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:58:30 pm

Downloaded Zorin 6.1/54 bit and tested with DVD... runs great..
Put it on USB 3.0 stick.. and it runs GREAT.. Now my problem..
I can't get Firefox to download and install in Zorin. I keep getting an error - "Cant contact source"..

I went to Mozilla and could download Linux version there.. but don't know how to install it??
HELP... Love Zorin

Luke

Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:38:39 am

BigJim1 wrote:Downloaded Zorin 6.1/54 bit and tested with DVD... runs great..
Put it on USB 3.0 stick.. and it runs GREAT.. Now my problem..
I can't get Firefox to download and install in Zorin. I keep getting an error - "Cant contact source"..

I went to Mozilla and could download Linux version there.. but don't know how to install it??
HELP... Love Zorin

Hey BigJim1

Welcome to the forums

To get firefox there is two ways either this way > start menu > internet> zorin internet browser manager
or use the terminal just press the following buttons together ctrl with alt and T to bring it up and type
sudo apt-get install firefox

sudo stand for superuser do

you will then be asked for you SuperUser password and one you enter it you will get Firefox.
Here is a screenshot I took

Hope this helps you out.

BigJim1

Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:36:25 pm

Thank you for your help..
I tried the terminal method first..
It said "deb" missing and couldn't make contact..
SO that is the problem .. Wonder if it is also missing in the installed mode???
Thank you again.. Have a nice day

BigJim1

Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:08:24 pm

Installed the Gdebi installer package and got the same problem..
Seems to be NOT able to get a file from Ubuntu.. for AMD 64 cpu

Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/ ... _amd64.deb 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.200 80]

Surprised that they haven't tested Firefox install capabilities... Probably the most widely used Browser in Linux???????
I'm sure others have tried Firefox .. Maybe it works with Intel ????

madvinegar

Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:23:02 pm

Just to inform swarf and Luke (if I understood correctly) that BigJim1 has not installed Zorin. His is using a live DVD or a Live USB.
I am not sure if you can install a deb package on a live USB/DVD.

BigJim1

Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:06:32 pm

I am beginning to believe that I can't do what I am trying under the LIVE system.
I knew that you can't add anything that would remain if you are using a CD or DVD Live session.
I also know that a live session using a USB drive let you save the things you did and saved to folders.
I am now beginning to believe that the program won't let me add new programs like Firefox.
I just downloaded the Zorin V6.2 Lite using the USB Live program and burned it to a CD.
But Everything I do like this eats up my Presistance space on the USB.. So I have to delete
things OR run out of space..
Thank for all of your help.. i am about to give up.. To do what I am trying to do requires an Install?????